Crispy and tasty Ragi Methi Pakoda or finger millet and fenugreek pakoda fritters are made using ragi flour and fresh fenugreek leaves.Normally methi Pakoda are made using gram flour and fresh fenugreek/methi leaves and come out very tasty, and a great tea time snack or Chai Nashta . Sometimes this ragi methi pakoda is the version I like more.
Chai and Pakoda is one of the favorite chai Nashta combination during winters when fresh methi leaves are easily available in the market. So, when winters are already knocking on our doors and methi leaves have arrived how could I possible left it out from my Chai Nashta Series.
This is slightly healthier recipe of Methi pakoda because I made these Methi pakoda in air fryer and used ragi flour instead of traditional besan in making these methi pakoda, because It's more nutritious and I am using it in my everyday cooking more often. If you want to include it in your everyday diet you can try some of my recipes made with ragi flour.
Pakoda is traditionally deep fried fritters that go very well as a tea time snack for the evening tea, but you can make them in Air fryer as well and these come out quite crisp and so much healthier than fried version. Earlier I used to make them with deep frying method but now if I am making just for the family and in small quantity I always use my Samsung microwave which has slim fry function. For larger quantity though I still go with deep fried method as air frying takes more time.
Now some of you asked me about how to make crispy pakoda. If you want your pakoda to be crispy, I suggest using rice flour along with besan or ragi for making pakoda and cook them for little more time. Pakoda will come out much crispier than regular pakoda.
If you love the beautiful aroma of Methi Pakoda and fan of an of traditional Indian Chai Nashta, I am sure you are going to enjoy this Chai Nashta series from my Breakfast Table. Do check out for more recipes in the series which I will be posting on the blog in the series #MyBreakFastTable and #MTCchaiNashta and on all social medias Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter and Pinterest Board
If you cook this recipe and find it helpful please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others who love food too, and it keeps me motivated to write more.
Posts From Chai Nashta Series
- 2 cups methi/fenugreek leaves
- 50 g rice flour
- 125 g Ragi flour
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying if you are deep frying
- Combine all the ingredients, except soda in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add enough water to make batter medium thick pourable consistency .
- Finally add baking soda and mix well.
- Now if you are Air frying use a parchment paper to line the tray and drop spoon full of batter and air fry to crispy texture according to instructions as provided by manufacturer.
- If you are deep frying, heat the oil in a kadhai and drop spoonfuls of batter in oil and deep fry the pakodas till they turn golden brown and crisp form all the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more pakodas. Serve with green chutney or Tomato Ketchup with garama garam cup of chai (Hot steaming Tea)