Akuri is soft, spicy and creamy scrambled egg recipe from Parsi Cuisine. If you love your scrambled eggs really creamy and custardy like the ones you can mop with your breads.
Parsi's in India are known for their love of egg dishes. Parsi cuisine has given us quite a few egg recipes for breakfast. This Parsi style creamy scrambled eggs that are spicy and flavourful are perfect for you if you are looking for interesting scrambled egg variation for breakfast.
In this Indian recipe eggs are cooked semi-soft with a spicy onion tomato masala and few spices.
Eggs are well seasoned and in some cases they add cream too to make it even more creamy. In my Akuri recipe, I make scrambled eggs without cream but the cooking method is such that eggs come out creamier.
How is Akuri Different from Indian Masala Egg Bhurji?
Ginger adds the main flavour to any good Akuri recipe. Eggs are usually cooked from runny to the soft consistency and not hard as the eggs in Indian masala anda bhurji style.
Anyone who knows a thing about Parsi food can tell you how much Paris’s love their Eda, you name a dish and Parsi’s will find a way to add eggs to it :). In that sense sometimes I feel
What Is Bharuchi Akuri ?
In this post I am sharing Regular Akuri Recipe that is made in Parsi homes. But there is special recipe known as Bharuchi akuri . They serve Bharuchi Akuri on special occasion.
What makes it different is, the addition of dry fruits and nuts like fried cashews and raisins. I have never tried the Bharuchi Akuri, but I love this simple version which tastes so incredibly good. And we enjoy it for breakfast or lunch or dinner. This egg recipe is so good that you can serve it for any meal.
How to Make Akuri
Start with breaking all the eggs into a mixing bowl and season with salt, red chilli powder and whisk to combine. [photo 1,2]
Heat up a pan, pour 1 tablespoon oil in the pan and onions. Saute' the onion and add chopped ginger, chopped green chilies and saute till onion turn slightly brown in colour. [photo3,4]
Add turmeric and tomatoes and cook covered until tomatoes are slightly pulpy [photo 1,2,3,4]
Then add whisked and seasoned eggs. Cook for a minute on medium to slow heat while stirring continuously.
Add garam masala and switch off the heat but keep it stirring.
One thing to take care is mostly cook on slow heat and eggs are creamy and not like soft scrambled eggs. [photo 4-5]
For more clarity on texture and exact recipe looks at various stages I strongly recommend watching video below
Akuri Recipe Video
Akuri is very creamy, almost custardy and slightly undercooked than Indian egg bhurji. However if you like you can cook till soft scrambled egg stage.
More Egg Recipes for Breakfast
If you love eggs and want some quick and tasty high protein breakfast recipes you can try out some other of my Egg recipes.
2 Minutes Masala Egg Omelete
Original recipe was published in August 2015 post is update with information and recipe detail on 05/02/2020
Akuri Recipe | Parsi Style Scrambled Eggs
- 4 whole eggs organic
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 teaspoon green chilli chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 chopped tomato
- Akuri Recipe (Parsi Style Scrambled Eggs) !
- For making Akuri Recipe, Break all the eggs into a mixing bowl, add salt, a pinch of red chilli powder/flakes and whisk it.
- Heat up a pan, pour 1 tablespoon oil in the pan or a mix of butter and oil. Add chopped onion and saute them till slightly pink. and add chopped ginger, chopped green chilies and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are slightly pulpy and add whisked and seasoned eggs.
- Allow it cook for a minute, and gently start scraping the sides of the pan, Mix well once again and check for the consistency. It should be semi-soft or liquidy and not the firm.
- Garnish with some more green chillies and fresh coriander leaves
- The Parsi Akuri / parsi style scrambled eggs are ready.
- Akuri is very creamy, almost custardy and slightly undercooked than Indian egg bhurji. However if you like you can cook till soft scrambled egg stage.
- One can add 2 tablespoon of cream to make it more creamy but I wanted to keep fat content low so I skipped that.
- Authentic Parsi Akuri recipe does not include cream though.