Aloo baingan sabzi is tasty curry from North India. Eggplant and Potatoes are cooked in a tangy gravy with aromatic spices for this tasty curry. Eat the Baingan Aloo with chapati or Rice it tastes amazing either way. It is Vegetarian, glutenfree, no onion no garlic recipe.
Eggplant/ aubergines or baingan as they are called in India is one veggie which either you hate it, or you love it. I love vegetables but strangly, I am not a great fan of baingan or eggplant and still Punjabi Aloo baingan is cooked very frequently in my home. Why? husband loves baingan in every conceivable form. Baingan ka bharta is a recipe to reach straight to his heart and excites him more than any other Indian curry. Go figure 😀
Aloo Baingan Sabzi Recipe Video in Hindi
I love to see him happy obviously :P, so I have to keep finding the new ways to cook the eggplant or baingan. Another incentive being eggplant is almost 95% water, so it is a vegetable which dieters can enjoy without worrying about calories. Though I must admit that for any dish to be low in calories it must be cooked right way.
Usually in Aloo baingan sabzi, the gravy is made with onion and tomato masala. But over the years I tried making this sabzi in different styles and the version that was most loved was the one that I made with tomato based gravy. So this version of Aloo baingan sabzi is without Onion and garlic.
Tips for making Good Aloo Baingan Sabzi
- While cutting baingan, always cut them when you are ready to cook the curry. Also, keep the cut baingan in water otherwise they turn black.
- Baingan/eggplan are first to be sautéed with the masala so that they can absorb the flavours from masala.
- Baingan is cooked till mushy, believe me I tried to keep them in different ways but the mushy version as called in Hindi latpata tastes the best.
- Do not skip adding dahi, you won’t taste the curd but tangy taste and creamy texture that it adds to the taste is amazing.
- I don’t know why but cooking aloo baingan in cooker brings out the best flavor of the sabzi. I am yet to try Instant pot Aloo baingan recipe.
Some Interesting facts about Eggplants/ Baingan
- Salting eggplant will reduce the amount of oil absorbed in cooking.
- Like all other edible members of the nightshade family, the eggplant is a fruit.
- Tobacco is also a member of the nightshade family. Like tobacco, eggplant and other nightshade plants contain nicotine, though to a lesser extent than tobacco.
If you like to try other baingan dishes you can try Hyderabadi Baghare Baingan, Multani Baingan Tamatar ki Sabzi. If you like what I cook do share the recipes and posts with your friends and family on facebook, twitter and whatsapp. It keeps me motivated to post more recipes. Thanks!