Apple kheer is a delicious Indian dessert made with apples and milk. I have improvised the traditional apple kheer by adding a thandai spice which adds a delicious nutty taste and rose petals add exotic touch as well as delicate touch.
Kheer is essentially an Indian sweet that is nothing but thickened milk flavoured with traditional flavours like cardamom, saffron, or thus etc. To add the texture you can also add dry fruits and nuts which make the kheer even richer.
This Apple kheer with thandai flavour is the perfect recipe for holi dessert. You can make this in advance and serve it chilled for your holi party.
What is Special About Apple Kheer
Apples are rich in pectin (a compound which is responsible for gel-like formation in jams etc) so when we cook it with milk it helps to thicken it so there is no need to condense the milk as done in plain milk Kheer. So the addition of apple not only makes Apple Kheer a healthy version because it has fruits, it makes it much quicker to cook as compared to traditional Kheer.
More Such Recipes
Chawal ki Kheer
- 1 250 g apple Large peeled and grated about
- 400 ml milk Whole
- 50 ml condensed milk
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds (khus-khus)
- 1 Tablespoons fennel seeds (saunf)
- 4 - 5 cardamom (elaichi)
- 20 white peppercorns Whole (kalimirch)
- ½ Tablespoons Rose Petals
- 2 tablespoons Melon seeds ( kharbooze ke beej )
- Soak ¾th the quantity of thandai spices for 1-2 hours and keep ¼th aside. Make a paste of soaked spices and keep it aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, pour milk and let it boil and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add grated apples and sugar and let the milk further reduce to half.
- Add condensed milk and thandai spiced paste to it. Cook for 2 more minutes and switch of the heat.
- Now ladle out this kheer in small earthern clay bowls ( for the best taste) and if you don't have them use your normal pudding bowls and chill it in refrigerator for 30 minutes and serve it topped with small portion of ¼ th of dry thandai spices we saved. One of the best desserts in summers.