These baked egg cups are like pizza cupcakes. They are ‘sunny side up’ omelette in a crisp baked breakfast cup made with the leftover rotis or tortilla. My favourite way to use up leftovers and perfect go-to breakfast when you are on-the-go!
I like quick and simple recipes in the mornings . You can simply carry them while travelling and eat them without the hassle of using a plate.They are a great ‘on the go’ snack and perfect for lunch box as well. Kids love it because it tastes almost like a breakfast pizza in an edible cup.
More Delicious Egg Recipes for Breakfast or Dinner
If you have leftover roti or tortilla from previous night, it becomes all the more easier to make these delicious baked egg cups for the breakfast. You can also serve the baked egg cups for tea time snack or after play snack for kids.
These egg cups are a healthier option to omelette as they are baked. When you take a bite of these you can see the layers of colours and textures.
I cooked the tri colored bell peppers a bit before adding them as bottom layer. You can even use them raw, just toss them with salt and red chilli powder and use as rest of the recipe. This will keep them slightly crunchy, and you will spend lesser time.
Since I wanted to keep the taste of pizza, I topped everything with Mozzarella cheese and roasted chilli flakes. You can use your favorite cheese, go on and add feta cheese or Cheddar as per your choice.
Best thing about making these in the mornings is baking smells wafting through your home. Whole home smells like a heaven when these cups are baking and there is fresh coffee brewing with a ‘fresh mornings’ breakfast aroma. It feels like right out of a french brasserie.
Recipe Notes for Making 30 Minutes Baked Egg Cups
- Apply generous amount of oil to the roti disks so that they turn nice- golden and crisp.
- When you top up the cups with cheese, put it in a way that the yolk of the egg is visible. See it in the video. Doing this makes it a sight delight.
- If you are making the cups with freshly rolled rotis, make sure they are half-cooked to avoid them from turning soggy inside.
Watch How to Make Baked Egg Cups with Leftover Tortilla/Roti
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 100 grams onions chopped
- 120 grams Bell peppers red green and yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 2 green chillies chopped
- 2 tablespoons of grated cheese
- Salt and chilli flakes to taste
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves or parsley
For assembling the cups,
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tortillas leftover rotis
- 2 Tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 6 eggs
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add chopped onions and saute in medium flame.
- Add the chopped tri coloured bell peppers followed by chopped green chillies in the pan.
- Saute them well and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Sprinkle in the salt and red chilli powder, mix well and let it cook for 2 -3 minutes. Keep this filling in a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of grated cheese, chopped parsley and coriander to it and mix.
- Now cut the leftover rotis into small circles for the cups (with the help of a sharp edged small bowl/glass.)
- Grease both sides of the small roti disks and place them on a cupcake baking tray.
- Put some filling in the roti cups , top it with an egg yolk . Sprinkle some salt, chilli flakes and grated cheese. Bake them for 20 minutes.
Call them whatever you want ; ‘baked egg cup’ , ‘breakfast pizza egg cups’ or ‘morning special yellow baskets’ or breakfast in a bowl. Call them by whatever name but the taste! I can assure you is worth it!
Pick a cup and start your energy filled day with these crunchy tasty Baked egg cups and start your day on a delicious healthy note.
Great recipes nice twist to regular breakfast