Significantly healthy and flavourful “Black rice and Mango salad” is an amazing fusion of rich, tangy and sweet flavours. A deliciously nutritious and healthy salad recipe with black rice is bursting with flavours in each bite! If you are like me this is one of best salad recipes so you too must have this one in your healthy salad recipe collection.
An ultimate healthy black rice recipe that is delicious and healthy. The super nutritious black rice, roasted sweet corn, mangoes and cool cucumbers with peppery arugula/ rocket leaves is a perfect blend for a nourishing salad with a peppery dressing. The salad dressing is rich and zippy enough to make you go for seconds real quick. An absolute wholesome and rejuvenating dish for summers.
From quite sometimes I have been trying to use the black rice pack I got a few months ago and checking out the black rice recipes all over the internet. But not really with a great success. So finally decided to use black rice in this black rice mango salad. But first of all let's talk about what is black rice and black rice nutrition.
What is black rice?
Black rice, also known by names like magic rice and forbidden rice, black rice is a new superfood on the block. Black rice is a variety of rice that is rich in powerful antioxidants, a rich source of dietary fibre and low GI rice.
How to cook black rice
Black rice is cooked almost like brown rice. Compared to white rice black rice takes more time to cook, because it is unrefined and denser than white rice. Ideally to before cooking, soak the black rice for 30 minutes. First, wash the rice till water runs our clear and then soak it for 30min-one hour and cook. Add 2 cups of water per cup of black rice.
You know my love for healthy salad recipes. Salads have an essential place in my kitchen. I keep experimenting with salad recipes and they never fail to impress me with their vibrant essence. If you love salads like me, this salad recipe will definitely be favourite one in your summer salad recipes. And if you are not fond of salads, I strongly recommend you to try this. This will surely make you fall in love with salads.
Let’s talk about Black rice and mango salad - Black rice, the natural detoxifier that turns deep purple when cooked. Do you know that why black rice is known as “forbidden rice”?
These were prohibited for the common people in ancient China. A rare and a very old variety of rice which was exclusively reserved only for the Chinese emperors and elite classes. Though it is not forbidden anymore but is cultivated in relatively small amounts compared to the other rice varieties. These are mainly grown in the northeast region ( known as Chak hao ) and the southern parts ( called as kavuni in Tamil ) of India for centuries.
Arugula leaves, one of the very low-calorie vegetable, coming from the Mediterranean origin are a great source of vitamins. These are even known as salad or garden rocket.
This “black rice mango salad” is a mild, sweet, tangy, spicy and refreshing, It's an excellent source of antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals. A perfect detox salad if you are looking for one and quite filling too.
If you want to add to your wholesome and healthy salad recipes list, definitely check out following salad recipes. White Bean Salad – Lobia Salad, Mizuna Quinoa Salad with Honey Chilli Lime Dressing, Strawberry Rocket Salad with Smoked Cheese and many more in the salad recipes section. If you like to build a better salad do read my Tips to build a better salad.
SOME NUTRITIOUS FACTS OF THE RECIPE
- Use black rice instead of white rice or any other rice variety. Black rice is the best of all rice varieties in terms of nutritional value.
- Black rice, also known as forbidden or purple rice are a natural detoxifier. A great source of antioxidants, fibre, vitamins and minerals.
- Arugula leaves ( salad or garden rocket leaves ) are one of the very low-calorie vegetables. These too are a great source of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
- Corns are a rich source of vitamins and minerals.
- Cucumbers are great for summers as they are rich in water and fibre.
- The king of fruits “Mangoes” are filled with vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants as well.
- Mustard has high levels of antioxidants and is a rich source of minerals and vitamins.
Can’t wait to try? Check out the black rice mango salad recipe below.
Black rice Mango salad
- 1 medium size roasted corn
- 250 grams cubed cucumbers
- 1 cup Arugula or salad/garden rocket leaves
- 200 grams cubed mangoes
- 1 cup cooked Black rice
For salad dressing
- 4 tablespoon lime juice
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon cumin toasted and powdered
- 1 teaspoon Ground Mustard
- Sea salt to taste
- In a big mixing bowl combine cooked black rice, cubed mangoes, cucumbers, roasted corn and washed arugula leaves. Toss them well.
- In a small jar combine all the ingredients mentioned in the salad dressing. Tightly close the lid and shake it well.
- Pour the dressing over the tossed salad and enjoy it.