Biryani, a food that takes you to the royal era of Mughals in India.The word “biryani” is an Urdu word and is expected that it originated from the word “birinj” which means rice or “biryan” that means to fry or roast.
It is famous all over the world and even people with very less tolerance for spices, dig into it. It is a dish which we can easily spot nowadays being sold in kilograms in markets and food bazaars.
Its exact origin is still debatable but some say it originated in South India and I hope you all know what state of the south I am talking about. South India has more varieties of biryani than any other part of the subcontinent. .Hyderabadi Biryani is to die for, the aroma of spices, the flavor of freshly marinated chicken or meat and perfectly cooked basmati rice, it is a treat for both eyes and tongue.
Hyderabadi Biryani is basically of 2 types, Kachchi Biryani and Pakki Biryani.The Kachchi biryani is prepared with meat marinated with spices overnight and then soaked in yogurt before cooking. The meat is sandwiched between layers of fragrant long-grained basmati rice and cooked on dum whereas, in Pakki biryani, the meat is marinated for a shorter time, and cooked before being layered with the rice and cooked in a dough-sealed vessel.
Cooking biryani on dum can be a lengthy and tiresome process, but you can use this quick recipe of pressure cooker chicken biryani when you are feeling lazy. The process of making biryani in the pressure cooker is a shortcut method but taste wise you will not find much difference. Still, you want to cook authentic Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani, here’s my recipe of traditional chicken Biryani.
This way you can cook it in very less time without too mush difference in taste.This is a one pot meal and can be had for lunch or dinner.It is usually served to guests at home and you can easily spot it in menus of gatherings.
Boness Chicken Biryani is a dish complete in itself, but with raita and salad as a side makes it even better. Do try this Try my recipe now and get lost in the time of Nizams.For vegetarians, you can replace the chicken with vegetables of your choice or paneer, soya chunks, soya chaap.
If you love biryani recipes and like to try some other interesting ones you may want to try Egg Biryani recipe too. Many other Rice dishes on the blog are Vegetable pulao, Veggie fried rice, Schezwan fried rice.
DID YOU COOK this recipe
- For marination!
- 300 g chicken boneless
- 100 g yogurt dahi
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste adrak lesson Paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Other ingredients!
- 300 g basmati rice
- 600 ml water
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 4-5 cardamom Elaichi
- 1 stick cinnamon Dal cheeni
- 4-5 cloves
- 2 bayleaves tejpatta
- 150 g onion pyaz
- 1 tsp green chilli paste hari mirch paste
- 100 g Tomatoes tamatar
- leaves coriander hard dhania
- leaves mint pudding ke patte
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder lal mirch ka powder
- salt namak
- Fried onion for garnish optional
- Wash and clean the chicken and mix all the ingredients under marination and coat the chicken with the marinade and keep it for an hour. You can keep it for more time in fridge and cook it later.
- Now wash the rice and soak it in water.Drain the water before adding it for cooking.
- Slice the onions and chop coriander leaves, mint leaves, tomatoes and keep them aside.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker, add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves and cook these spices till fragrant.
- Then add the sliced onions, green chillies paste and cook till the onions turn light brown.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder, salt to taste and cook till the tomatoes are pulpy and masala starts to leave ghee.
- Now add the marinated chicken, along with the marinade cook for few minutes till chicken is partially cooked.
- Add washed and cleaned rice in the pressure cooker along with mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Cook in pressure cooker on medium heat till 2 whistles.Turn off the heat.
- Allow the pressure from pressure cooker release on its own and wait for 5 minutes before opening the lid of pressure cooker.
- Fluff the rice gently, drizzle some ghee and garnish with coriander leaves and fried onion.
- Serve with any raita or plain curd
- Take proper proportion of water to rice ratio.Chicken will also lose some water, that also should be considered while adding water.
- You can use any type of rice, basmati rice is preferred for good results.
- Once the pressure cools down ,serve the biryani hot.
- Let pressure be released from cooker on it's own and wait for sometime before serving it.