Bread poha is a simple Indian breakfast recipe that is made by cooking chunks of bread in spicy onion and tomato masala. Also known as bread upma, 10 Minutes is all that is required to make tasty and Easy Vegetarian Indian Breakfast.
Basically, bread poha is one of the tasty Indian breakfast recipes with bread. I usually cook this to recycle leftover 2-3 day's old bread. I add tomato or two and a few vegetables like bell pepper/capsicum, cauliflower, peas, corn.
All of these are perfect to use in any Indian breakfast. That's the reason I make this for a quick breakfast. Just before grocery shopping, so that I can use up whatever left in the fridge.
Other than chopped bread and tomato masala, ingredients for the bread poha are ever changing at my home. Usually, I use whole wheat bread in this bread poha recipe, but you can use whichever bread you have at home. When I need a snack which can be easily made with available ingredients, I make bread Poha.
I usually make healthy breakfast at our home that is usually is protein rich. Either I combine two dishes in such a way that makes for a healthier option. Same thing I do with this dish as well.
I mostly serve bread poha with curd/ yogurt to balance it out. You can also serve it with a glass of milk or a fried/boiled egg. It makes a hearty breakfast that keeps us full until lunch time.
If you are looking for adding variations, you can add cubed paneer or tofu. This small block of paneer was waiting to be used, so I added paneer instead of veggies.
You can add your choice of veggies in the dish. Paneer makes this even more delicious, so you can make mix vegetable bread poha. It was quite filling with a glass of masala chai. Is there any North Indian Indian breakfast recipe that is complete without Chai 😀
Also, I love green chillies, that is why I topped this with fried green chillies for a spicy punch. Fried green chilli is our favorite addition in these easy breakfast recipes from north India. Try that you will love it too! If you want to make bread poha without onion, you can just skip them and cook rest of the recipe as it is.
If you want to see the Calories in Bread Poha, you can check the Info on the bottom of this page. Also if you like to try another popular Poha recipe made with Poha or rice flake there you can try Healthy Vegetable Poha recipe or Kanda Poha Recipe
Bread Poha Recipe Video (Step by Step)
HAVE YOU TRIED THIS RECIPE
If you try this delicious Indian breakfast recipe and like it, click a pic and use the hashtag #MyTastyCurry — I would love to see your delicious dishes on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter!
Bread Poha Recipe - Healthy Indian Breakfast Recipe
- 8 whole wheat bread slice cut into small cubes
- 100 g paneer cut into small pieces
- 30 g peanut roasted
- 100 g red onion sliced
- 200 g Tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- to taste salt
- 1 green chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1 - 2 tbsps coriander chopped
- 50 g Pomegranate seeds fresh (optional)
- Heat up oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to the pan.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering add sliced onion to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat till the onion become translucent.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt, mix well and immediately add chopped tomatoes.
- Cook this masala for 5-6 minutes over low medium heat till tomato become pulpy and soft. Add a tablespoon or two tablespoon of water if required and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Now add cubed paneer and cook for one minute and add cubed bread.
- Mix everything together gently and cook for a minute or so.
- Top it with chopped green chilli (if you are using), peanuts, fresh pomegranate (if using) and chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.