Crispy, buttery hot Capsicum Masala cheese grilled sandwich on a rainy day or a wintery evening, is almost perfect sort of evening snack idea for me or dinner if I just skip the chai, and replace that with hot and steaming bowl of homemade tomato soup.
Yes! I am as old fashioned as one could get, especially when comfort food is concerned. I know many of you from my generation know what I am saying. In my growing u years in 80’s, this Capsicum Masala cheese grilled sandwich was one of the most popular comfort food for my generation.
Some sort of grilled cheese toast either made in gas toaster griller or tava. Having electronic toaster was still a fancy thing that time. Then came a time when electronic toasters were must haves in your kitchen and all the charm of old fashioned toasties and tava toasted bread was replaced with a variety of cheese filled and exotic ingredients filled grilled sandwiches which I love too.
But when it comes to sandwiches I am not partial all. I love old fashioned sandwiches, toasties, grilled cheese and all :). What could be a better and comfortable meal to make and eat other than sandwiches. I do love to experiment with so many varieties of bread, fresh produce, so many varieties of delicious cheese available these days and make sandwiches. But some days all you want is... the old comfort! The food that has so many lovely memories attached to it. The kind you have shared with your loved ones. ThisCapsicum Masala cheese grilled sandwich is one such sandwich for me.
The other day someone on Instagram requested me to share easy recipes for beginners in cooking. The recipes which are easy, take few minutes and can be cooked in even a basic bachelor’s kitchen. This masala grilled sandwich was one of few recipes which I thought meet all those conditions. Actually, this is not even a recipe, it is mostly an idea you can vegetables of your choice in this one. I have used potato and capsicum, you can add cabbage, shredded carrots, beans etc.
Potato and Capsicum masala for the sandwich comes together in few minutes if you have boiled potatoes at hand. This masala stuffing can be used to make masala stuffed paratha as well. But I usually have another masala stuffing for paratha so this one I keep for sandwich filling only.
- For Masala!
- 200 g Boiled and mashed potatoes
- 100 g Capsicum /bell pepper /shimla mirch chopped
- green chilli chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon Cilantro Coriander leaves chopped
- ginger chopped
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder -½ tsp
- 1 teaspoon mango powder/amchoor powder
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- For Sandwich!
- 8 Bread slice
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 80 g cheddar cheese
- In a pan heat oil add chopped ginger and green chilli, sauté for a minute and add chopped cilantro. Cook for a minute and water.
- Season it with salt and cook for another minute , add chopped bell peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes till bell peppers start to soften.
- Now add boiled potatoes along with the red chilli , coriander powder, anchor powder and mix everything well. Cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes and your masala sandwich filling is ready.
- Apply butter on one side of the bread and then spoon out the cooked masala and spread it evenly, top with grated cheese and cover it with another bread slice .
- Cook from both side on a griddle/tava or toaster griller till golden brown and serve with steaming cup of masala chai.