Chana dal idli is another variation of South Indian Breakfast Idli. Chana dal idli, as the name suggests is made with chana dal and rice in the almost similar way as rice idli is made, and it tastes so good on its own. I usually serve chana dal Idli with plain sambhar and gunpowder or coconut chutney for the breakfast. For evening South Indian style tiffin, I prefer to serve it as mini idli with an easy tempering along with filter coffee or a cup of masala tea.
If you follow me on Instagram you already know my love of Idli. How I love to experiment and try different types of traditional Idli recipes. But traditional is not only I restrict myself to, as I like to take a slightly different path sometimes and try variations. ( 5 Types of Idli Recipes )
Why Chana dal Idli? The idea of making chana dal idli started with my attempt to eat food that has a low GI. Although this idli recipe can not exactly be described as low GI, it still contains rice, but chana dal is lower in GI value than urad dal, so it's an improvement. You know, my attempt is always to make food as much as healthy as possible without compromising taste, So, till I come up more ideas to make idli healthier or lower in GI value, I will stick to this recipe of making chana dal idli.
Although this is not exactly a chai nashta recipe per say but I still consider it one because South Indian tiffin is a similar concept to North Indian chai nashta, so this goes under South Indian Chai Nashta :). That reminds me Are you following my Chai Nashta series from My Breakfast Table yet?
If you are idli lover like me you may like to try Soft Rice Idli with tips for making soft rice idli and Coconut chutney that is served with it. Ragi Idli or Fried Idli and Podi Idli, Kanchipuram Idli are another variations of Idli recipes. If you like to know about different varieties of Idlis and history about origin of idli, you may want to read this article on Idli Varieties and History of Origin of Idli
Other MTCChaiNashta Series Recipes
- #MTCChaiNashta from My Breakfast Table
- Indian Style Bread Omelette Sandwich
- Healthy Methi and Ragi Pakoda
- Special Paneer Pakoda
- Misal Pav
If you cook this recipe and find it helpful please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others who love food too, and it keeps me motivated to write more.
Chana Dal Idli Recipe | My Breakfast Table #MTCNashta
- 150 g Chana dal Bengal gram dal
- 100 g rice
- 2 green chilli
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 Dried Red chilli
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch baking soda big pinch
- Wash chana dal and soak it in water for 3-4 hours.
- Similarly wash and soak rice in separate bowl for 3-4 hours.
- Grind them after that and mix to form a smooth batter. Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it for fermenting for 7-8 hrs in summers plus 4 during winters.
- Season it with salt, turmeric powder, green chilli and ginger paste. And add baking soda. Mix it nicely.
- Grease the idli pan and with the help of ladle pour idli batter in idli pan, stack all the plates like this
- Place it in a pressure cooker or idli cooker with little water take care that water should not touch idli pans plate otherwise idlies on lower plate may become soggy.
- If you are using pressure cooker do not forget to remove the weight.
- Steam them for 10-12 minutes and allow to cool for 5 minutes before demolding and serve hot with Sambhar and coconut chutney or make mini fried idlies like I do with tempering.
- For tempering heat up ghee and add curry patta, mustard seeds and red chilli when it starts to splutter take it off heat and pour this tempering over idlies and serve it.