How many of you love Chilli cheese toast! I simply adore all versions of this delicious Mumbai Street food inspired open toast. This Veggie Chilli Cheese sandwich is inspired by the Chilli toast recipe with few changes to make it even more delicious and healthy. These are one of my favorite sandwich for lunch box, teatime, breakfast… Basically, these are Best Indian sandwich ever.
If you are from my generation chances are you have carried chilli cheese Toast for the lunchbox many times. Back then whenever I wanted comfort food real quick, this was what Mom used to make. Mainly because these are so easy to make, you can easily make cheese chili toast on tawa in 10 minutes. Plus I loved them any which way she made them, some extra cheese made them even better or maybe it’s nostalgia that makes me feel so. But whatever it is I still love them in the same way.
Actually, there is another sandwich toast recipe that is a close contender for best sandwich ever. You guys must try my curd sandwich recipe another crispy buttery and creamy sandwich toast which you might love.
Chilli cheese open toasts are good, but I often make these Mix veg chilli cheese sandwiches with an extra layer of veggies. Cheddar Cheese, Jalapeno chillies, thinly sliced cabbage and bell peppers sandwiched between crispy grilled bread is heaven in every bite. I like them as it is but if you are ketchup fan you can serve the sandwiches with tomato ketchup and a hot steaming cup of tea.
You can make the veggie chilli cheese sandwiches in a grill press or panini press. If you do not have one, simply use stovetop grill tawa and make these cheese chilli toast on tawa. Even the simple tawa or griddle is good, just make sure there are enough cheese and enough butter on your bread. You will get a perfect grilled chilli cheese toast sandwich.
Chilli Cheese Toast sandwich Recipe Video
- 8 sandwich bread
- ½ Cup Cabbage shredded
- ½ Cup capsicum cut into strips
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 5-6 Jalapeno chilli sliced
- 2 TablespoonsMayonaise
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 3-4 Tablespoons Butter
- Apply the softened butter on both the sides of bread.
- First of all spread a layer of shredded cabbage, followed by salt and pepper.
- Next layer is capsicum/bell peppers and then thinly sliced Tomatoes.
- Top it up with grated cheese and sliced jalapeno chillies.
- Apply mayonnaise on one side of bread, and place it on the veggie and cheese layers.
- Take care to place mayonnaise side down.
- Heat a non-stick tawa or griddle on the stove.
- Place the chilli cheese sandwich buttered side down. Press with some heavy object for good grill marks.
- Flip it and repeat on the other side as well.
- Likewise, prepare all the chilli cheese toast sandwiches and serve immediately.