Egg Fried Rice has to be The best fried rice recipes ever. I mean one pot, veggies, eggs and rice! what's not to love 🙂 These delicious egg fried rice is an easy one pot meal for a weeknight dinner or lunch. And It tastes exactly like fried rice from a Chinese restaurant.
This one skillet, 20 minutes egg fried rice is so much better than those oily Asian takeouts. Today I am sharing with you my Chinese egg fried recipe which is healthier than a takeout and you can prepare in less time than your takeout order arrives.
We love Indo-Chinese food or Chinese food that is popular in India. So I try to create a lot of popular restaurant style dishes at home. I have shared with you guys Paneer chilli, Veg manchurian, Vegetables in Sweet and Sour Sauce , Lemon coriander soup, Hot n Sour egg drop soup , Sweet corn Soup and a lot more is coming up soon.
This recipe of fried rice is perfect to use leftover rice. In fact I always prefer to use a day old cooked rice for making any stir-fried rice dish.
What Makes this Egg Fried rice recipe the BEST for us?
- Quick to make in 20 minutes
- Same Chinese restaurant like flavour at home
- Simple ingredients that are easily available
- Packed with flavour essentials like soy sauce, ginger, garlic and spices
- It is perfect use of leftover rice
Cooked Rice: Use any leftover rice or cooked rice for making fried rice recipe.
Sauces: Soy sauce, green chilli sauce, schezwan sauce
Vegetables: cabbage, beans, spring onions, bell peppers, carrots, mushroom you can use all the vegetables that can be used in stir frying. So pick as per availability and choice.
Eggs: Farm fresh eggs
Herbs and Seasonings: ginger, garlic, green chillies, red chilli powder, salt.
Toasted Sesame Oil: Sesame oil adds big flavour in the fried rice. You can use regular vegetable oils like canola too if you wish, but for the best tasting fried rice, sesame oil is non-negotiable.
How to Make Egg Fried Rice
Homemade Egg Fried Rice is a one Pot meal which means you can make the whole recipe in just one pot. Isn't that a great thing now because less cleaning up!
Sauté your veggies and garlic: Heat a pan and pour in 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil. Add chopped red onions followed by spring onions, capsicum, cabbage, carrot, beans, and fresh corn kernels.
Stir-fry these veggies and saute them for 2-3 minutes on high flame. Add ginger, garlic and green chilies.
Now add Red chilli powder (optional), soy sauce, chilli sauce, and schezwan sauce. Usually I add bit of salt as well. But if you are a beginner in cooking I suggest adjust the seasonings after you finish cooking the dish because different brands of soy sauce contain different amount of salt.
Scramble the Eggs: Crack 3 whole eggs in a bowl. Gently pour the eggs in the pan. Scramble the eggs with veggies for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
Stir-fry Rice: When eggs start to set add cooked rice in it. I sometimes add a tablespoon of butter here. It is not really authentic thing but adds a beautifully delicious flavour.
Taste and Season: Now taste the rice and add more salt and pepper or soy sauce as per your taste. Serve them steaming hot!
Fried Rice Restaurant Style (Video Recipe)
Special Tips for Best Egg Fried Rice Recipe
RICE: Always a day old cooked rice for making fried rice recipe. With freshly cooked rice it may become clumpy and soggy. The leftover rice dries out a bit when stored in the fridge and when you make fried rice the rice grain is separated.
If you want to use freshly cooked rice, spread a layer of freshly cooked rice on a big tray, wrap it tightly with a plastic wrap and keep it in fridge for 20-30 minutes. The rice grains will cool down and dry out slightly.
Sauces: Using right proportion of sauces makes any dish perfect. If you use less rice will lack flavour too much of it and it becomes too brown and has overpowering taste of soy sauce. The key is to use just right amount to create perfect balance and a restaurant like flavour that is fresh and healthy.
Wok or Pan: Ideally you should make fried rice in a wok that evenly spreads out the heat and retains the heat. Wide shape of wok helps in the distribution of heat that is required for cooking Chinese food. If you do not have wok or kadahi use a pan that can stand high temperatures. I have used non-stick skillet you can use a wok as well.
Heat: The best thing while making stir fries is using heat. That's the main secret of Chinese cooking. Use high heat while cooking fried rice that makes the best fried rice.
Fried Rice Variations:
- Add more proteins, chicken, prawns etc. If you are a vegetarian you can kip egg and make veg fried rice with this same recipe. In the vegetarian version you can add tofu for proteins.
- Pineapple Fried Rice: Fresh and juicy pineapple chunks add another dimension of the flavour. Add small cubes of fresh pineapple to make a variation of fried rice.
Which is Best Rice for Making Fried Rice?
- Any variety of short grain rice or medium grain rice works good for making fried rice.
- I prefer leftover rice because the slightly dried out rice is ideal for making fried rice. Freshly cooked rice has moisture which makes the fried rice sticky and prone to breaking.
- If you are making freshly cooked rice then short grain rice that is not sticky is best rice to make egg fried rice recipe.
What To Serve with Fried Rice
Fried rice taste good on it's own. Serve fried rice with any of these dishes for the best taste.
- Paneer chilli,
- Veg manchurian,
- Vegetables in Sweet and Sour Sauce ,
- Lemon coriander soup,
- Hot n Sour egg drop soup ,
- Sweet corn Soup
More Fried Rice Recipes to Try
If you like egg fried rice then I am sure you will like:
- Schezwan rice
- Vegetable fried rice
- Indian egg fried rice
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Mushroom Fried Rice
- South Indian Lemon Rice
If you like this recipe Please leave us a star rating and leave us your comments below in the recipe card. You can follow me on Pinterest and Instagram for latest updates.
You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
Egg Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 2 tablespoon Red Onion chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon Spring Onion chopped
- 100 grams Green Capsicum
- 1 cup Cabbage chopped
- ½ cup Carrot chopped
- ½ cup Beans chopped
- ½ cup Corn
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilies chopped
- 1 teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Green Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Schezwan Sauce
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 2 cup Cooked rice
Sauté veggies and garlic:
- Heat a pan and pour in 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil. Add chopped red onions followed by spring onions, capsicum, cabbage, carrot, beans, and fresh corn kernels.Stir-fry these veggies and saute them for 2-3 minutes on high flame. Add ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- Now add Red chilli powder (optional), soy sauce, chilli sauce, and schezwan sauce. Usually I add bit of salt as well. But if you are a beginner in cooking I suggest adjust the seasonings after you finish cooking the dish because different brands of soy sauce contain different amount of salt.
Scramble the Eggs:
- Crack 3 whole eggs in a bowl. Gently pour the eggs in the pan. Scramble the eggs with veggies for 1-2 minutes on medium flame.
- When eggs start to set add cooked rice in it. I sometimes add a tablespoon of butter here. It is not really authentic thing but adds a beautifully delicious flavour.
Taste and Season:
- Now taste the rice and add more salt and pepper or soy sauce as per your taste. Serve them steaming hot!
- Use short grain rice when you are using fresh rice while cooking egg fried rice.
- I have used a skillet so have poured in more oil due to the surface area, if you are using a wok adjust the quantity of oil accordingly.
- You can scramble the eggs same time while stir frying the veggies in the skillet.