Swiss rolls are the kind of fancy cake you make when you want to impress someone. But making a fancy cake is too much of a task! Isn’t it? The answer is NO, not all the fancy looking cakes are difficult to make. All you need is right technique and right quantity of good quality ingredients.
But I am not a baker, some of you might say this? Well, neither am I :D. I am not a natural baker and I don’t have a very prominent sweet tooth as well. But! I have a family who loves desserts so I bake to satisfy their sweet tooth. Not that I mind eating a slice or two with my evening tea too much 😛 That said, I do not like to spend to much time so I take advantage of machines which allows me to spend less time and gives me good results.
Watch Video - How to Make Chocolate Swiss Roll
One of these machines is stand mixer if you love to bake you know stand mixer makes the job so much easier. You really don’t need to spend too much time whipping, mixing, making dough etc. It cuts down on time drastically as well as the effort that goes into it.
From past 3 months, I have been using the Morphy Richards stand mixer in my kitchen and I think I have baked record number of bread, cookies, and cakes for me in these three months. Including fancy looking cheesecakes, homemade bread, simple cakes etc. All these recipes might not have made it to the blog because of time constraints but if you follow me on Instagram you know that how easy it has made it for me. You can also try out these recipes that I made Eggless Chocolate Cake, Homemade Sandwich bread.
The chocolate Swiss roll recipe I made using Morphy Richards total control stand mixer is quite simple but you need to mix and whip your ingredients to the right consistency. As I said it is quite easy and takes lesser time when you use right types of equipment for it.
In this recipe of chocolate Swiss roll, I first made a basic chocolate sponge that can be rolled easily. The second thing you need is right kind of filling for the Swiss roll. Since I was making dark chocolate Swiss roll, we love simple whipped with the chocolate so I made a whipped cream frosting. You can use a filling of your choice if you love you can add any fruit jam, finely chopped fruits mixed with whipped cream or top it with fruits of your choice.
Chocolate Swiss Roll - Morphy Richards Total Stand Control
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 135 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer add 4 large eggs, 135g sugar, and oil. Whisk them at the speed of 2 for 4-5 minutes till frothy.
- Add cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and Mix everything for 2-3 minutes on speed of 2 till well blended.
- Now line a baking tray with parchment paper or Silpat.
- Pour the cake batter into the thin layer and bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes.
- On a flat surface place another parchment paper and sprinkle some cocoa powder over it.
- Gently flip the chocolate sponge over the parchment paper while it is still warm. Now roll it very gently into a log-shaped roll and keep it aside.
- In the mixing bowl of the stand mixer, add the heavy cream and sugar whip it at a speed of 1 till it forms peaks.
- Now gently unfold the chocolate roll. Spread the whipped cream on the cake, this time lift the edge of the parchment paper and roll the cake with filling to form a log/roll.
- Refrigerate it for an hour and then cut it into slices as per your preferred thickness. You can make decorate it with a fancy pattern with ganache or chocolate sauce but frankly speaking, I love it as it is with few chopped fruits and a cup of tea or coffee.