Coffee custard and cake pudding is a divine match made in heaven consisting of all indulgent flavors together -a little sweet and a little bitter. You really can't get enough of this delicious layered dessert which needs not much of real cooking and you can put it together in few minutes.
The reason that is I decided to serve it as individual portions in a cup is once you start eating you just don't want to share it :D. But really when it comes to desserts I always prefer to serve it in individual portions. Built-in portion control plus it looks pretty than big servings which start to look messy when one or two servings are taken out of dessert bowl.
The coffee cake and custard combination sounds super simple but believe me this is really one of the best combinations ever and has never failed to please.
Here, I have made simplest and basic Coffee custard and cake pudding but you can always develop it further. To make a trifle add a layer of chopped fruits. You can add wine, sherry or any other liqueur of your choice. In this recipe of coffee and custard pudding, I stuck to black coffee and chocolate for the flavors.
If you are a coffee lover, you can add more coffee flavor by making it with strong coffee. I used cold brew concentrate to make this pudding. Also, you can add variety by adding chopped dry fruits or for more flavor coffee liqueurs etc.But for the first time, I would say just stick with the basic and then add your own twist. This simple dessert is very easy to make and can be customized as per the availability of ingredients at home.
For this recipe, I made custard from regular custard powder eggless sponge cake both of which are easily available in the market.You can also make custard at home from scratch using eggs and add any packaged cakes available in shops to get similar results.
Coffee in the pudding tastes best with custard and cake together. I also added whipped cream to make my dessert richer, after all, who count calories when it comes to dessert. If you are not a whipped cream fan you can even skip adding the whipped cream and just make the custard thicker. Once all the layers of cake and custard are assembled(till the top of your cup), chill it in the refrigerator before serving and enjoy the chilled cup of custard coffee and cake pudding.
If you like to try other quick desserts this 2 Minutes mug brownie is the best thing that has happened to me. This is almost no-fail fool proof recipe do try that as well. If you love quick Indian desserts you can try some of my most favorite Indian desserts here.
Coffee Custard and Cake Pudding Video Recipe
- 200 g sponge cake
- 400 ml milk
- 3 teaspoon custard powder
- 1 cup black coffee chilled
- Sugar as required
- 2 tablespoon whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon grated chocolate
- Add custard powder in ¼ cup of chilled milk, mix and keep it aside.
- Heat the remaining milk in a pan and add sugar till it dissolves.
- Add the custard mix kept aside in the hot milk, switch off the heat and stir continuously so no lumps are formed.
- Cook this till it is thick and of custard consistency.
- Cool the custard and keep it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Once the custard is cool add whipped cream to it and mix.You can skip adding whipped cream if you don't like it.
- Take a cup and add a spoonful of custard-whipped cream at the bottom.
- Soak a piece of cake in chilled black coffee and layer it over custard in the cup.
- Repeat step 7,8 till you reach the top of cup.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder and grated chocolate on top for garnish.
- Place the custard pudding cups in fridge to chill for 1-2 hour.
- Serve chilled.
- Cook and chill the custard before using it in the recipe.
- Use fresh spongy cakes to get best results.
- You can cut the cake into smaller pieces if required.
- It can be cooked in advance and served later.
- Add softer, juicy and sweeter fruits if using fruits in your dessert.
- Pick a custard that matches the flavor profile your cake and fruits being used.
Use a transparent bowl or cup to serve to show the beautiful layered dessert.