Dahi Bhalla is popular snack from north India. If you love Delhi chaat, Dahi Bhalla or Dahi vada is exceptionally good chaat recipe which can also be served at tea time.
For making Dahi Bhalla, savory deep fried lentil balls soaked in water are topped with whipped curd/yogurt, sweet tamarind and dates chutney and green chutney. Also, it is spiced up with tangy chaat masala and if you want it hotter, a little bit of red chilli powder as well.
If you are serving Dahi vada without papdi, this recipe of Dahi vada is gluten-free and has a good amount of protein and fiber because it is made with lentils. Assembling of Dahi vada chaat varies from state to state. In Delhi style Dahi Bhalla recipe, Papdi (crisp deep fried crackers) is also added and topped it with masala powders. Mumbai style Dahi vada chaat is topped with sev too, but no papdi is added like Delhi style Dahi vada. In some areas, chopped onion is also added.
For making soft and spongy Dahi Vada, urad dal is soaked minimum for 5-6 hours or overnight. The soaked dal is then ground to into a paste and small balls of this batter are deep fried to make golden deep fried Dahi Bhalla. These Vadas are then soaked in warm water, drained and topped with various toppings like Dahi Bhalla chutney and spice powders. If you are worried about Dahi vada calories, you can make non-fried Dahi Vada. You can even cook Dahi vada in Microwave. You can air fry Dahi vada as well. I will share both easy and healthy version of Dahi vada soon.
How To Make Soft and Spongy Dahi Bhalla/ Dahi Vada
- For making soft and spongy Dahi Vada, urad dal is soaked minimum for 5-6 hours or overnight
- Allow the ground dal to rest for 30minutes before frying dahi vada.
- Mix dahi vada batter nicely with a spatula to incorporate some air.
- Add fried vada immediately into salted warm water.
- Keep dahi vada soaked in water till you are ready to serve them and squeeze out water only at the time of serving.
Tips for making Dahi Bhalla chaat better
- Whipping the batter before deep frying results in the soft and spongy texture of Dahi Bhalla.
- You can make Dahi Bhalla chaat without papdi as well. Papdi is added only when you want to make Dahi Bhalla papdi chaat.
- If you have boiled chickpeas you can add them as topping too.
- Instead of deep frying Dahi vada, you can make them in the microwave as well. The texture won’t be same as traditional Dahi Bhalla but it’s healthy and tasty chaat recipe.
Dahi Vada Chaat Recipe Video in Hindi
- 200 g urad dal
- 75 g papdi wheat crackers
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cashew
- 2 tbsp Raisins
- Salt to taste
- 200 g yogurt whipped curd
- 1/4 cupTamarind and dates chutney Imli ki chutney
- 1/4 cup Green chutney
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp Roasted cumin powder bhuna jeera
- Wash urad dal till water runs out clear.
- Soak it for 4-6 hours, drain out excess water and grind into smooth paste.
- Add few tablespoons of water if required while grinding urad dal for Dahi Bhalla.
- Take care batter should be fluffy and smooth, not too runny. It almost looks like cake batter.
- After grinding beat the batter with a spoon and add salt, raisins and chopped cashew.
- Whipping the batter makes soft and spongy Dahi vada which absorbs the tangy flavors of masalas and Dahi Bhalla chutney.
- Now heat the oil for deep frying till smoking point. Reduce the heat to medium and drop spoon fulls of batter into the hot oil.
- It will immediately start to float on the surface. Now cook these vada until light golden brown and fry them all.
- Now add these Dahi vadas in warm water in which salt is added and allow them to soak in water for 15-20 minutes.
- This step will help in making soft and spongy Dahi Vada.
- To assemble the Dahi Bhalla chaat, take out few pieces of Dahi vada from water and gently squeeze out extra water.
- Place them on a small plate and add crushed papdi (if you are making Dahi Bhalla papdi chaat)
- Add small cubes of boiled potatoes and top them with whipped yogurt, tamarind and dates chutney, green chutney.
- Sprinkle some salt, red chilli powder, chaat masala powder, roasted cumin powder.
- Finally, top it with some dry boondi and some more chutney and yogurt as per your liking and serve the chatpati Dahi Bhalla chaat.