Dahi Pakodi chaat is Indian spicy and tangy chaat in which dal ki pakodi is served soaked in seasoned curd with generous toppings of sweet and sour chutneys crunchy sev and other seasonings.
Indians are known for their love of Chaat, a popular savory, spicy, sweet and tangy snack or mini meal. Tikki Choley, Dahi Papdi, dahi bhalla, Samosa chaat, Dahi Puri , Panni Puri each chaat has their loyel chaat lovers. Dahi Pakodi is also one of these chaat recipes which somewhat resembles dahi bhalla or dahi vada.
For making Dahi pakodi chaat usually split and skinless yellow moong dal is used to make the pakodi or fritters. In this recipe I substituted moong dal with more wholesome and rustic whole masoor dal with skin. Whole massor dal gives this dahi pakodi a hearty taste and is packed with lot more nutrition and fiber.
Dahi pakodi chaat recipe basically involves two processes, first is making dal pakodi and second is serving it with yogurt and array of other toppings.
Whole masoor dal is soaked for few hours, ground into a paste and then deep fried into dal pakodi. This dal pakodi is then made into finger licking chatpati dahi pakodi chaat.
This is my go to recipe for parties or get togethers. You can always make it in advance even one day or two days prior and store it in refrigerator. When you want to serve it just take out the pakodi's and assemble them with toppings for a tantalising taste of dahi Pakodi chaat.
Few More Chaat Recipes If You Love Indian Chaat
If you find this recipe helpful please do share it on your facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest. This may help others too, and it keeps me motivated to write more.
- 200 g whole masoor dal pink lentils
- 1 green chili chopped
- Pinch of cooking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup green coriander chutney
- ¼ cup sweet tamarind chutney
- 300 ml yogurt whisked
- ½ teaspoon rock salt
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2-3 tablespoon sev
- Wash and soak masoor dal in water for 4-5 hour.
- Drain the water and grind the dal along to a little coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste into the bowl, add cooking soda and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add chopped coriander, chopped green chilli, red chilli powder and combine well.
- Heat up enough oil in a wok or kadahi for deep frying.
- Once the oil is hot and slightly smoky, carefully drop the small quantity of batter and deep fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on to absorbent kitchen paper. Repeat the same for remaining batter and prepare the rest of the pakodies. Let them cool.
- To assemble the Dahi Pakodi Chaat
- Whisk the dahi or curd with few pinch of salt.
- Take about ¼th cup of curd / yogurt in a bowl. Place 3-4 pieces of pakodi in the bowl top it with green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle red chilli powder, chat masala and some coiander and enjoy the tangy and spicy dahi pakodi chaat.