This Dahi Sev Puri Chaat is bursting with spicy tangy and sweet flavors and textures, This is my Sev puri recipe with a twist on Mumbai Classic Sev Batata Puri Chaat recipe.
There are few things in Indian Food better than a well-made chaat. Well! I know it’s messy to eat it but now if you make it like I did this time. Mumbai street food is famous for it’s very filling spicy and tangy dishes and slightly different than Delhi Chaat.
Sev is used in almost all the Mumbai chaat recipes whereas in Delhi Chaat Sev is hardly used. What is Papdi Chaat in Delhi takes a new Avatar in Mumbai and is known as Sev Puri Papdi chaat or Sev batata puri.
Sev Puri is one of popular Indian Chaat. In Sev puri recipe papdi/puri (deep fried cracker) is topped with a spicy topping of boiled potatoes, onion tomatoes along with tangy sweet spicy chutney. The Sev puri is then topped with masalas and then it is finished with a liberal topping of sweetened curd and Sev. And believe me when I say “It tastes almost like heaven”.
Now with the weather changing from warm to hot so early in the April in Delhi, all you crave is some fresh food. SO we are already transiting from paratha or heavy curries to light broth curry, salads, and smoothies. Still, there are times when you want to eat all that tangy and spicy food, this version of Sev puri is perfect for the season.
Usually, Sev puri is topped with boiled masala aloo, but I gave this Sev puri recipe my own twist and made it little lighter in taste and thus can be enjoyed cold. The topping I used is a mix of cucumber, tomatoes, boiled potatoes and fresh cilantro/coriander which makes it refreshing in taste. yogurt or hung curd in this makes it very refreshing and cooling, so my version of Sev puri recipe almost tastes like a spicy salad with tangy Indian flavors.
This recipe of Sev puri is a completely nonmessy recipe because rather than using a flowing consistency of thinned down dahi/yogurt I used hung curd as the base topping. It does not scatter on the serving plate. So, it makes an excellent party appetizer and can be served like party finger food to go with drinks.
Another change I made here is, instead of Puri which is dense and is made with white flour, I used brown rice papad as I am not using white flour in home food anymore. These rice crackers or papad make a perfect base for this Sev puri recipe lighter and crunchier. It is so difficult to stop yourself at one.
If you love Indian Chaat like I do try this Sev puri recipe with a twist and enjoy the taste without too much worry about the feeling of heaviness or guilt.
Dahi Sev Puri Recipe Video in Hindi
If you love Chaat recipes you may like to try Masoor ki Tikki Chaat, Ram Laddoo (Delhi Chaat) Dahi Vada Chaat, Dahi Pakodi Chaat, Paneer ki Tikki Chaat, Ragda patice, Batata Vada etc. All Chaat recipes on my Tasty curry
- ½ cup boiled potato cut into small cubes
- ½ cup cucumber cut into small cubes
- ½ cup tomato seed removed cut into small cubes
- ½ cup hung curd made by hanging 300g yogurt in muslin cloth
- ¼ cup khajur imli ki chutney
- ¼ cup Green chutney
- 2-3 green chilies finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- red chili powder
- chaat masala powder
- 3-4 Tbsp nylon sev
- Oil if you choose to deep fry rice papad
- If you are using rice papad first step is either to deep fry it or microwave it to make the base for the sev puri chaat.
- If you want you can use ready made puri from the market just like authentic sev puri recipe.
- Since I used rice papad, I first heated the oil and deep fried the rice papad.
- Add few papad at a time and cook them for about minute till they are light brown in color. Likewise, prepare all the papad and keep them aside.
- Now prepare the potato topping for the sev puri.
- For this in a mixing bowl, mix chopped boiled potato, cucumber, tomato, chopped cilantro/dhania, green chillies and salt.
- Mix them well.
- Now To Assemble Sev Puri place papad/puri on to a plate.
- First of all place a teaspoon of hung curd. Top that with potato and cucumber salad.
- Now drizzle it with khajoor imli chutney, green chutney, sprinkle red chili powder, salt, chaat masala and generous amount of sev and coriander leaves to garnish.
- Serve the tangy and spicy sev puri immediatly.