Mini idli, button idli, coin Idli call them any of these name, the cute and small bite sized idlies sure make a delicious appetiser or a tea time snack along with a cup of kadak masala chai or a cup of filter kappi. In this post I am showing you three ways you can eat these mini rice Idli's.
The recipe of mini idli is not any different from the regular breakfast idli which is very healthy breakfast in Southern India. You use up same batter as regular idli and steam the idli in exact same way. Only thing which is different is Idli plates, you use idli plate with small size depressions for filling up the idli batter which is hardly a teaspoon of batter per idli.
In the podi idli, mini idlies are made using this idli recipe and then tempered like recipe given below.
- Heat up the gingelly oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and dry red chilli. Allow them to pop for 30 sec and switch off the heat.
- After switching off the heat add idli podi to the pan and also add bite sized mini idli.
- Serve them hot with a generous sprinkle of freshly grated coconut with a steaming cup of chai for delicious and spicy teatime snack.
Mini Ghee Idli
Ghee Idli This is almost same as podi Idli but here Idlies are actually sauteed for a bit in flavourful ghee which adds to a comforting and earthy taste of ghee along with soft bites of fluffy mini idli.
GHEE IDLI RECIPE
- Heat up the ghee in a non-stick pan, add mustard seeds curry leaves and red chilli.
- Cook them for 30 seconds on low heat and add the button idli in the pan.
- Saute them for 1 minute and serve them hot with coconut chutney and tea.
If you are idli lover like me you may like to try this recipe of Soft Rice Idli and Coconut chutney that is served with it. Kanchipuram Idli or Fried Idli and Podi Idli , Chana Dal Idli are another variations of Idli recipes. If you like to know about different varieties of Idli and history about origin of idli, you may want to read this article on Idli Varieties and History of Origin of Idli
If you cook this recipe and find it helpful please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.