Do you love Gajar Halwa or carrot halwa but hate to spend hours cooking it in traditional way? Well this Gajar ka halwa in microwave is next best thing. You can make this quick halwa recipe in microwave in almost 30 minutes or thereabout.
Traditionally all Indian halwa recipes are cooked in a kadahi or wok. Also making it traditional way requires a lot of time and patience. But making halwa in microwave is really one of the quickest way to make this traditional Indian dessert.
And it saves hours of cooking and checking stirring and what not!
If you have previously checked my microwave recipes, you know that I am creating unique and delicious recipes using LG microwaves. If you have not checked them till now I would say check them now, microwave cooking is the convenient, super easy and non-messy way to cook food.
The other recipes from this microwave Cooking series are Stuffed Tomatoes, tandoori gobhi, Sooji halwa in microwave and all of these these recipes are quick and delicious. I suggest you must try them if you want to simplify cooking and still want to eat tasty food.
How to Cook Carrot Halwa in Microwave
I cooked the microwave gajar Ka Halwa by steaming the carrots in steam chef accessory that comes with LG charcoal microwave ovens. First I steamed the carrots in steam chef and then finished cooking gajar Ka halwa in Microwave safe bowl using the steamed carrots with other ingredients.
For cooking it, just Place steam chef with grated carrots in the microwave, choose gajar Ka Halwa from auto cook menu and enjoy a delicious bowl of Garma Garam Halwa in few minutes. Yes! It is that easy ?.
I used both condensed milk and khoya to cook gajar Halwa to make it moist and well cooked. I know some of you might be worried about bhuna taste of traditional gajar Ka Halwa that comes with traditional cooking.
But, trust me this microwave recipe of Halwa comes quite close if not same. Looking at the ease of microwave cooking and that you can make it super quick and in non-messy way this one is my preferred choice of cooking.
Since red carrots are not in season right now, I used orange ones. If you are making it in winters which is red carrot season in India you can use those as well. The exact amount of ingredients is given below in the recipe.
How To Serve Gajar Halwa
Also, I served it in two different ways. One method of serving is delicious steaming hot bowl of gajar Ka Halwa that we eat during winters.
The other way I served this is as layered dessert for the festive occasion. Layers of gajar Ka Halwa alternating with whipped saffron cream looks really good.
Taste wise also saffron cream and microwave gajar Ka Halwa creates an interesting contrast in terms of flavours and taste.
Since this is Diwali special recipe I used small champagne flute glasses to serve this as there is lot of other snacks/ food that are served.
So if you are serving it as layered dessert the real servings would be around 16 and not 8 regular servings as written in the detailed recipe of microwave gajar Ka Halwa written below.
Other Halwa Recipes You May Like to Try
- 300 g Carrots/ Gajar
- 5-6 Tbsp powdered sugar
- condensed milk
- Unsweetened khoya
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder Elaichi
- 10-12 Saffron threads
- Raisins 15-20 pieces
- pistachio chopped for garnish
- almonds chopped for garnish
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Now prepare the steam chef by adding water on multi cook tava attachment and place steamer mesh that comes with it.
- Place the grated carrot over the mesh and cover it with special dome shaped lid that comes with LG microwave.
- Now place this steam chef accessory in the microwave and from the auto cook menu select Gajar Ka halwa menu.
- Select the weight and allow the carrots to steam till bean sound happens in microwave. (For this weight total time is about 18 minutes and beep happens around 10 minutes
- This is where you pause the cooking and take out steam chef from the microwave.
- Now take out the steamed carrots from steam chef in a big mixing bowl
- Mash the steamed carrots with back of spoon and add ghee, grated khoya, condensed milk, cardamom powder, powered sugar and mix well till well combined.
- Place this microwave safe bowl in the microwave oven and again resume rest of the cooking by pressing start button. This part mostly resembles the roasting of gajar ka halwa the way it is traditionally cooked.
- After it is cooked mash the halwa, add chopped nuts and mix it.
- Enjoy it hot or cold.
- For making these interesting Carrot Halwa saffron frosting cups, I whipped the heavy cream with saffron soaked in about 1 teaspoon of water and 2-3 tablespoon of powdered sugar till well defined soft peaks.
- Scooped out cold halwa in small champagne glass and topped it with saffron frosting which i filled in an icing cone. If you don't have that you can simply scoop that with a spoon and top it.
- Sprinkle finely chopped pistachio and almonds and serve it chilled.