A kitchen is an essential part of our life, as food is our basic human interest. As a child, I always associated the kitchen to be the go-to place for producing the best meals to satisfy our desires and needs.
As one grow old, most of the times it is too overwhelming to suddenly find ourselves to be the main force commanding the entire operations behind the food scene. Planning rations, grocery shopping, which spice to buy mixes, what appliance is an absolute must in the kitchen and budgeting.
When I was a beginner in the kitchen I always ended up buying something or other on a whim and regretted it most of the times when after so many months it was just lurking in some cupboard because I could not find any use of it. After many years I know have many tips up my sleeves where I think I have reached to a stage where I can share few of my tried and tested grocery shopping tips.
Whether you are a bachelor who is looking to start cooking basic home cooked meal, or a women who has recently started cooking, this basic grocery list can be a great help to make your life a little hassle free. Here is a grocery list that compiles a basic referral list for grocery shopping in order to start a new and productive kitchen.
This go-to grocery list divided into sections on the basis of type and produce. I am sure this can get you started in the kitchen in no time.
1. Grains, Cereals and Lentils
- Rice: With the numerous types available in the market, choose the one which best suits your pockets and taste glands
- Lentils or Daal: Basic Moong, Toor or Chana would serve your purpose well
- Dry cereal: To whip a quick and healthy breakfast
- Wheat: Standardised, powdered form from dependable brands suits best
If you want to get ahead of a basic list, keep a look out for pasta shells or sheets and noodles to whip up quick continental delights.
2. Fresh Produce
Basic vegetables should always be kept in an accessible stock: Potato, Onion, Tomato, Garlic, Cabbage, Cauliflower, carrots. Exotic options such as Spring onions, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Bell pepper can be included at a later stage.
3. Dairy, Poultry, and Bread
- Milk: There is a wide variety of toned and skimmed types available for deliberation.
- Eggs: A ready stock of a quick dozen makes for an easy and nutritive breakfast option.
- Bread: Multigrain and whole wheat varieties are the optimum options.
- Paneer: Whole blocks can be bought and used effectively
- Chicken and Meat Products: Processed and frozen options are readily available in different varieties.
- Cheese: Different forms like parmesan, gouda, cheddar and cream
cheese are available for easy selection.
4. Oil and Condiments
- Oil: People may opt for the sunflower oil. Another healthier alternative is olive oil which is efficient for multiple avenues and usage.
- Turmeric Powder
- Cumin/ Jeera (Whole and Powder)
- Powdered cilantro/ Dhaniya powder
- Chilly Powder/ Mirch Masala
- Vegetable mixes
- Garam Masala: A reliable blend of exotic spices easily available.
- Powdered Fenugree
- Heeng/ Asafoetida
- Ginger garlic paste
- Chilli Flakes
5. Beverages and Ready to eat options
- Tea Leaves
- Cocoa Powdered.
- Soups, dosa, and other mixes,
- Ready to eat packets: They serve as good backup options in cases of emergency or in unforeseen situations.
Photo credit: Stock Photo