Homemade classic Red sauce from the scratch. An Italian American red sauce recipe with fresh tomatoes is super easy to make. It can be made with easily available ingredients in your kitchen. Use it as pizza sauce and it also doubles up as red pasta sauce.
The other day when I shared my Authentic Italian Pizza sauce recipe many of you guys asked for the pizza and pasta sauce recipe to make with fresh tomatoes.
I agree not all of us like to use canned tomatoes and sometimes availability is also an issue. So I am once again sharing this pasta and pizza sauce recipe that I make with fresh tomatoes. It is delicious too!
Basically this is more like a marinara sauce. You can use this red tomato sauce to spread on pizza, toss with pasta to make red sauce pasta or serve with your spaghetti and meatballs. This is one of easiest red sauce recipes when you need dinner on the table super quick.
Make this Red Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes
- It is super simple and easy to make recipe for beginners
- Best way to use fresh tomatoes in the season
- You don’t need fancy or hard to get ingredients
- Easily available pantry staple ingredients
Ingredients For Sauce
You only need these basic ingredients to make this homemade red sauce.
Fresh Tomatoes: For the best taste I used two varieties of fresh tomatoes. Red tomatoes to give body to the sauce and baby tomatoes for extra tanginess.
Tomato Puree: It adds a smooth texture to the sauce.
Extra virgin olive oil: Use best quality extra virgin olive oil as this adds a lot of flavour in best tasting red sauce.
Sea salt: To season the sauce
Mixed herbs seasoning: Also known as Italian seasoning it is a mixture of oregano, thyme, rosemary and dried basil
Crushed Red pepper: Also known as chilli flakes add a good amount of heat. You can skip this but if you like your food hot and spicy use it.
Fresh basil: I can’t imagine my pasta sauce without fresh basil, so I highly recommend never make your pasta or pizza sauce without basil.
Steps to make Red Sauce for pasta or Pizza
- It is very easy to make and has few simple steps.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree and cook.
- Season the sauce with fresh herbs and spices.
- Cook some more and use it as pizza pasta sauce.
Watch Stepwise Recipe Video of Red Sauce (Hindi)
Recipe Notes and Tips
Always peel the tomatoes before crushing them. It is really worth the taste.
For the best flavours NEVER skip fresh basil. Using basil in this sauce is not the option.
I mostly make it in a big batch of 2-3 jars 1-2 jars go in freezer so when sudden pasta, pizza cravings strike I am prepared 🙂
How to Store Red Sauce
You can easily store it in the fridge or freezer. It stays good in the fridge for 7-10 days. If you want to store this red sauce longer you can easily freeze this. To store it in the freezer, pour the cooled down sauce in a freezer safe container or individual ziplock packs and freeze. It stays good for 10-11 weeks easily.
How to Use Red Sauce
This Italian American red sauce tastes like marinara. You can use it in pretty much any recipe where you use marinara sauce. You can use it to make eggplant parmigiana, spaghetti and meatball sauce as a dipping sauce for bread. Plus this works great sauce for pizza and pasta.
More Such Recipes to Try
Red Sauce Recipe | Pizza Pasta Sauce
- Non-Stick Pan (US)
- 2.2 Ib tomato (Red ripe)
- 3.2 oz red onion (finely chopped)
- 5 grams garlic (finely chopped)
- 10 grams oregano dried
- 1 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz tomato puree (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10 grams red pepper Roasted flakes
- 5 grams basil leaves
Making Crushed Tomatoes from Fresh tomatoes
- Heat up a big pot of water and bring it to a boil.
- In the mean while make a cross slit on the top of all the tomatoes.
- Blanch the tomatoes for few minutes till the skin starts to come off. Switch off the heat now and take the tomatoes out of the pan.
- Peel off the skin and let the tomatoes cool down and crush them roughly in a blender. Keep it aside.
Making Red Sauce
- Heat up Olive oil in a big pan and add chopped onion to it. Saute chopped onion, and garlic in the oil for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Continue stirring all this while.
- Now add crushed tomatoes you made in blender as well as tomato puree/tomato ketchup. Simmer it for 10 minutes, stir it in between to prevent the sauce sticking to the bottom.
- Season it with salt, oregano and red chilli flakes, chopped basil.
- Mix it well and cook for another two minutes. Switch of the heat and let the red tomato sauce cool down.
- Put them in bottles or jar and store it inside the refrigerator or freeze them to use as required.
- You can store this sauce in refrigerator for upto 5-6 days.
- It stays good in the freezer for 6-7 weeks.
- Other than pizza and pasta, you can serve it with meatballs, sandwiches, spread it inside wraps and with appetisers.