Crispy Fried Eggs that have lacy, golden crispy edges. How to make Fried egg with a perfect contrast of perfectly set egg white and jammy runny yellow yolk. Sharing my technique and tips on how to fry an egg in 3 ways.
These are probably one of the best flavourful fried eggs you have ever tasted. This is the only way we love to eat fried eggs here.
I love eggs. It's no secret. But one condition is whichever egg recipe I make, eggs have to be perfectly cooked. Cooking eggs to perfection is easy if you know the right technique, time and temperature to cook eggs. I have already shared a method to perfect boiled eggs and fluffy scrambled eggs.
Another form of eggs that we make many times is fried eggs. Noodles, fried rice, over toast as a side of salad. We love crispy oil fried eggs. In this recipe of fried eggs, I am talking about my tried and tested technique to make a fried egg.
When making fried eggs we know each one of us has personal preferences for fried eggs. Some like sunny side up and some like it over easy.
The difference between sunny side up and over easy is that over-easy eggs are flipped and cooked on both sides before removing from the pan. Sunny side eggs are cooked from one side only. The egg whites are set and yolks are runny or jammy in both types of fried eggs.
Adjust the cooking time with the timer method and you can make all types of fried eggs. Make them over easy, over medium over hard. They are all so delicious and super easy to make.
You need only these 3 ingredients.
Eggs: Good fresh eggs is a prerequisite for the best-fried eggs. Take good local eggs with beautiful orange yolks for that beautiful look. You can use desi anda or
Olive oil: good quality olive oil is best for cooking eggs. I use extra virgin olive oil which adds a lot of flavours and stable oil for cooking due to its high smoking point.
Salt: a good pinch of sea salt adds to the taste.
How to Make the Best Fried Egg
You can do these things to make the best-fried eggs.
Start with a great egg. Fresh organic eggs with a beautiful orangish-yellow yolk look good and taste great. You can use free-range eggs if available. In India, desi anda tastes good and looks better as well.
Cook one egg at a time. One egg at a time is the best way to cook if you are cooking for few people. I do not generally cook two eggs together in one pan because if they merge they don’t look that good. Otherwise, you can do two eggs in a large skillet with enough gap between two eggs.
Which pan to use while frying eggs?
I use a toxin-free non-stick pan which makes it easier to handle during shoots. But if you use non-stick pans make sure to use non-toxic high-quality ones. I am sharing a few of my favourite ones in the recipe card below.
For the second choice either use a cast-iron skillet or a thick bottomed stainless steel pan to cook eggs. I have shared The Best pan to cook eggs previously.
How to fry egg
- You can crack the egg into a bowl or you can crack the egg directly over a heated pan. If you have never fried eggs before I suggest crack it first in the bowl and then transfer it onto a skillet.
- Heat oil properly to ensure the egg does not stick to the bottom of the pan. For making super crispy edges of eggs, pour it over hot oil and then reduce the heat.
- Now after this if you want the runny yolk to cook it for 60 seconds. If you want jammy egg yolk, cook it from 60 seconds -90 seconds. For firm yolk cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Season as per your taste. After you get beautifully fried eggs as per your taste you can season them to enhance the taste. Sprinkle flaky sea salt, fresh herbs like mint, basil, chives or cilantro. If you like to add spice you can add black pepper, chilli flakes or paprika.
- If you are making more than one fried egg you can keep using the same skillet. Add a small drizzle of olive oil before each egg. Heat the oil till before the smoke point and reduce the heat. After that, crack the egg directly in a skillet or break in a bowl and then pour onto the skillet.
Recipe notes: Tips & Technique
- One thing to be careful of is oil splatters. For that either step away a bit from the stove. It might also leave your stovetop a little messy if you are not careful.
- While cracking the egg first break it into a bowl and then pour it. This makes sure that yolk does not break while pouring. If you want to crack egg directly in a pan make sure to crack it close to the Pan’s surface so that yolk is not disturbed while pouring.
- I am sharing methods to cook the Fried egg in many different ways.
For Sunny Side Up
- In a small nonstick pan over medium heat heat olive oil. Crack the egg into the pan. Cook it for 2 minutes, or until white is completely set and the edges are crispy. Season with sea salt and chilli flakes or black pepper.
For Over Easy Fried Eggs
- In a pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Crack an egg into the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, or until white is all set. Flip the cooked egg after it is crispy from the underside and cook 30 seconds more. Season with sea salt and chilli flakes or black pepper and serve.
For Over Hard Eggs
- Just like hard-boiled eggs, you can make over hard eggs. In over hard eggs the yolk is cooked and firm. For making an over hard fried egg flip the egg after cooking 2 minutes on one side. Flip it and cook on the other side till the yolk is fully cooked.
Recipes Featuring Crispy Fried Eggs
Any dish tastes better with a fried egg on it. But We especially love to top our noodle dishes, pasta and curry noodles etc.
More Such Recipes
Making Perfectly Poached Eggs
How to Fry An Egg
- Non-stick pan
- Cast iron pan
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon Sea salt
- In a skillet pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil (you will not use all of it in one go but you need this much in the pan for a crispy egg.
- Heat olive oil so much that it shimmers on the pan.
- Carefully break the egg into the skillet and reduce the heat.
- Allow the egg to cook on medium heat. Gently tilt the pan to keep spreading the oil.
- Cook the egg till the edges are crisp and golden.
- You can cook yolk as per your liking. It takes 2 minutes of cooking for runny yolks. For medium cooked jammy yolks you need to cook them for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Now one egg is cooked you can cook 1 more egg in the same skillet without adding extra oil.
- For more than two eggs you need to drizzle a little more oil and you can repeat the process likewise.