Simplest and easy method to season Cast iron cookwares, skillet, dosa tava and cast iron pan. I use a cast iron skillet and cast iron pan in my everyday cooking.
With time seasoning of cast iron pan withers off. Seasoning the cast iron skillet and pan keep them good for years and your cast iron will last for generations. Here's a simple method of how to season cast iron cookware, skillet, pans or tawa.
Cast iron pan or skillet is a useful cooking equipment which has had an essential place in my kitchen since ages. Let me walk you through the step by step method to Season cast iron skillet at home.
Undoubtedly, you can rely on your cast iron pan for cooking different recipes. But before you do that, do not forget to season your pan. What does that mean? Well, I am here to clear all your doubts regarding seasoning a cast iron pan.
Cast Iron Seasoning Process
The durability and reliability of cast iron pan as a cooking tool makes it as an essential part of any kitchen. Let me tell you, seasoning a cast iron skillet at home is really simple - just a bit of elbow grease and your cast iron skillet will be as good as the pre-seasoned pan. It is really an important step, do not skip it if you want maximum results from your cast iron skillet.
Seasoning, in this case, has nothing to do with salt or spices. Seasoning is a process that can be described as a hard, protective coating that is formed by heating incredibly thin layers of fat (like oil) on the cast iron. This process is termed as polymerization.
Why You must Season Cast Iron Cookware
A proper cast iron seasoning protects the cookware from rusting, provides a non-stick surface for cooking, and prevents food from interacting with the iron of the pan. After three to four times of repeating the process of seasoning, you get a non-greasy, blackened coating which protects the cast iron.
Once you have seasoned your cast iron pan properly, you can simply enjoy non-stick cooking easily. Use it to cook eggs or chicken or bake your brownies, it serves all purposes - just don’t forget to season your cast iron pan time to time.
Myths regarding Cast Iron Cookware
Before I begin with the instructions of seasoning a cast iron pan, let me clear out the myths regarding cast iron skillet, pan, tawa or grill pan.
- Most people think that cast iron pan is difficult to maintain and gets damaged easily. Well, if this would be the case then years old cast iron pans won’t exist in a usable condition. The reality is that cast iron pans are really strong. The stuff is built to last and it's very difficult to completely ruin it. Simply season your cast iron pan time to time to store it for years.
- One thing that should be avoided completely is leaving your cast iron pan in the washing sink for a longer time.
How to Season Cast Iron Pan- Watch Video
Season your Cast Iron Skillet - Step by Step
Materials for seasoning Cast Iron
- Dish soap
- Clean dry cloth and paper towels
- Vegetable oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- Cast iron pan
How To Season Cast Iron Skillet
Wash your pan using dish soap with the help of a sponge.
- Dry up the skillet using clean dry cloth.
Pour some oil in the pan. Rub your pan evenly with oil using a paper towel.
- Turn on the heat. Place your cast iron pan on the stove.
- After 5 minutes, turn off the gas.
- Now, pour some oil again in the pan. Rub the pan evenly with the oil carefully using paper towel.
- Turn on the gas again. Let the pan heat for about 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the gas. Let the cast iron pan cool down.
- Repeat the procedure 1-2 times more.
- Now, remove excess oil from cast iron pan with the help of a paper towel.
- Your cast iron pan is ready to use now.
So Seasoning Cast Iron Skillet or Pans is very important for it's durability, hygiene and cooking great food. Hope my easy tutorial of How to season seasoning Cast Iron will help you. If you have any queries or questions you can ask away in the comments section.
More Such Resources