Hyderabadi chicken curry is a delicious chicken curry recipe from Hyderabadi cuisine. In this Hyderabadi chicken recipe, the chicken is cooked in a rich, spicy and aromatic gravy flavoured with garam masala, coconut and a good amount of heat with chillis.
The chicken curry is quite rich but if you thought it’s complicated recipe it is absolutely easy to make chicken recipe. You do not even need to marinate the chicken and still, it turns out quite flavourful.
When it comes to chicken, I cook many gravies but most of them are in onion tomatoes based gravies. This is chicken curry with no tomatoes, A hint of sour taste comes from the use of tamarind in a small amount. And it tastes equally amazing with rice, chapati or paratha.
Hyderabadi chicken is perfect Indian Keto recipe if you follow that. It is also glutenfree and low carb.
Hyderabadi Chicken Curry Recipe Video
Other Hyderabadi Recipes you may want to try out are:
- Hyderabadi Bagara Baingan Recipe
- Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe
- Egg Biryani Recipe
- Shahi Tukda
- Sheer Khurma
Hyderabadi Chicken Curry Recipe Notes
- You can adjust the heat with adjustment in the number of chillies as per your tolerance level. But since Hyderabadi cuisine is famous for the spicy food Hyderabadi Chicken curry is originally a spicy dish.
- Instead of boneless chicken, you can use the cut chicken with bones. I mostly cook it with boneless chicken/chicken breast because of healthier meat and easy to eat.
- If you are using chicken with bones adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Hyderabadi Chicken Curry
- 300 g Chicken
- 2 tablespoon peanuts Roasted and skinned
- 4 tablespoon Coconut dessicated
- 3-4 red chillies dried whole
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon Peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon green chillis chopped
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 2 green chilli
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 tamarind lemon paste ball size
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- coriander leaves for garnish
- Grind together, desiccated coconut, Peanuts and whole red chillis and make a coarse powder.
- Now heat oil in a pan and crackle cumin seeds, add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- After onion turn slightly pink, add slit green chillis.
- Saute them for 2 more minutes and add curry leaves, cook for a minute and add ginger garlic paste.
- Cook again for a minute on low heat and add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and coriander powder.
- Cook for one minute and add coarsely ground peanuts and coconut powder.
- Cook all of these on low heat for 1 minute and add few tablespoon of water to make think masala.
- Add chicken pieces and coat them evenly with masala.
- Add tamarind paste and garam masala powder.
- Fry them for 5 minutes while covered and add 1 cup water.
- Cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes till chicken is fully cooked.