Instant pot kala chana curry is sure shot winner recipe now. It is suitable for Vegan, low in GI suitable for diabetics and glutenfree. Most importantly it’s healthy as well as tasty, I comfort curry meal in a bowl for me. Detailed Video recipe included.
Everyday curries that are quick to cook and still taste good are included in my weekly menu quite often. But when we are talking about everyday Indian curries, beans like chana/choley or chickpeas are included in our menus often. Especially Punjabi curries, like chana masala, Rajma etc take time to cook. Now that I make it in an electric pressure cooker or Instant pot it is ready in comparatively lesser time.
You know in my quest to cook tasty, healthy home cooked food my effort is always towards reducing cooking time or time spent in the kitchen and make it super easy. So, if you too follow the same philosophy of cooking stay with me here 🙂 I am going to make this recipe of Punjab kala chana in a simple way.
Most of us cook chickpeas or kala chana by soaking, boiling the black chana and then using it in the curries. Being a super lazy cook who wants her curries quick and tasty I tried to cut short the process further, because there is a life that exists outside the kitchen 😀
This time I cooked Instant pot kala chana. I am majorly infatuated with instant pot these days. If you have not read it already you can read now. What is an Instant Pot, Common mistakes while Using Instant pot and 5 Things you should know about Instant Pot.
Now! if you don’t have instant pot, do not worry you can make this recipe in any other electric pressure cooker or simple pressure cooker we use in the Indian kitchen. The only thing for using stove top pressure cooker you need to adjust time differently. You can check the stove top Pressure cooker Kala Chana recipe here.
When we talk about chana, the first thing people think is chickpeas or garbanzo beans. You can think black chana or kala chana a close cousin of chickpeas or chana. But much better in terms of nutrition profile as per Ayurveda.
- According to Ayurveda, kala chana or black gram is (Agneya) which means it is a metabolic booster and it is easily digestible.
- A high amount of fiber and protein helps to keep a person satiated for long.
- Being Low GI food kala chana is good for diabetics. So, this kala chana curry is suitable for a diabetic diet, low GI diet, and even vegan diet.
How to Cook Punjabi Kala Chana curry in Instant Pot
- As usual Soak Kala chana overnight or minimum 6-7 hours. Discard the soaking water. Soaking kala chana reduces cooking time and discarding water get rids of compounds which may cause gas in the stomach.
- In Punjabi Kala chana curry stovetop recipe, kala chana is boiled and then cooked with masala. But, In instant pot kala chana curry recipe everything is cooked together so it takes much lesser time and effort.
The Punjabi Kala chana curry with rice tastes best but you can serve it with Roti, Chapati or Paratha.
If you like this recipe please do share this article on facebook twitter or google plus it keeps me encouraged to post new recipes. If you cook this recipe or any of my recipes please tag me with #MyTastyCurry I love to see how it turned out for you.
Watch Punjabi Kala Chana Curry Recipe in Hindi