Instant Pot Veg Pulao, is a popular Pulao recipe from Indian cuisine. Easy and quick rice recipe with fragrant basmati rice and mix vegetables. You can easily make it in the pressure cooker or use this Instant pot Veg pulao recipe to make this side dish with tomato curry. It makes a perfect weeknight dinner with some yogurt, pickle, and papad on its own.
I am in love with Instant pot, basically no more messy kitchen and faster cooking. Another thing that I love is these 20 Minutes meals, totally a blessing for all of us. This delicious Instant pot veg pulao is one such meal. So convenient and there are so many variations of this simple and easy Indian dinner recipe.
Talking about variations, there are many variations of pulao and many names, Vegetable Pulao, Veg pulav or Indian Pulao. You can also use various vegetables as per seasons You can also use the same pulao recipe and make it in a Pressure cooker.
I don’t know about you but I always end up making some variation of veg pulao whenever I am stuck for choices, or in no mood to cook elaborate meals. Since the time I got the Instant Pot, making these family favourite one-pot dinners have become easier than ever before.
Many of you asked about cooking Indian food in Instant Pot. I will say it is just like our regular pressure cooker. The only difference being it is an electric pressure cooker and comes with some preset menus. What I love about it is cooking food is less messy, not too many splatters and cleaning up.
It can slow cook, roast, saute, pressure cook with many more functions. Most of the Indian dishes that can be cooked in the pressure cooker can be cooked in the Instant pot as well and plus a few more.
Now that I hope I have answered the main query regarding cooking Indian food in the Instant Pot, let’s talk about Instant Pot veg pulao recipe. It is a nourishing, quick and easy vegetable rice recipe you can make in 20 minutes. If you know me you know how much I love these 20-minute meals recipes. Especially these rice recipes are total lifesavers!
All you need to make pulao is few vegetables and a good quality fragrant basmati rice. If you have one or two odd pieces of carrots, potatoes, zucchini or such veggie in the fridge the pulao is one of best rice recipe you can make.
In middle eastern cuisine, there is an almost similar rice dish is known as pilaf. The only difference being the Pilaf is cooked in stock instead of water and no red chilli is used. Also, the Veg pulao is made with basmati rice and mixed vegetables it is naturally gluten-free. If you substitute ghee or oil it becomes a completely vegan recipe.
Instant Pot Veg Pulao – Recipe Notes
- You can substitute the vegetables as per availability, I used most common vegetables.
- I used regular pressure cooker mode on Instant Pot. If you wish you can use preset Rice cooking on Instant Pot.
- Instead of using white basmati rice you can use brown Basmati rice for making pulao.
How to make Instant Pot veg pulao
Instant Pot Veg Pulao
- 100 g onion
- 1 tsp ginger and green chilli paste
- 1/4 cup Green Peas
- 1/4 cup green beans chopped
- 1/4 cup potato cubed
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 200 g basmati rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds /jeera
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 inch long Cinnamon
- 1 Star anise optional
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Press SAUTE mode on Instant Pot. Add ghee and allow it to melt
- Once inner POT is hot tip in the whole spices. Cook for few seconds.
- Add in the chopped onions, ginger paste and Saute until onions turn light brown.
- Now add in potatoes, green peas, carrots, beans, washed and soaked basmati rice and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add, red chilli powder, garam masala, water, salt and mix well.
- Close the lid, and turn valve from Venting to the sealing position.
- Press CANCEL button on Instant Pot.
- Set the pot to PRESSURE COOK mode, bring it on medium pressure and set the timer for 5 minutes.
- Do a quick release with a long spoon, bring it from sealing position to venting position.
- Once the pressure has released, open the lid and gently fluff up the rice.
- Serve this fragrant and delicious veg pulao hot with raita/yogurt and pickle.