Aam ki Launji a delicious sweet and spicy side dish or relish made with raw green mangoes. Just like mango pickle this mango relish is perfect accompaniment to any Indian meal.
It’s officially mango season in India and we are having our fill of juicy mangoes in all varieties. While mangoes are great, raw mangoes are even better and I just love them. There are many names for raw green mangoes, Kairi, keri, Kaccha Aam, Ambi are the popular ones in North India.
This sweet and savoury relish is also known as kacche Aam ki launji in Rajasthan. You can make it in advance because it stays well in the fridge for at least a week.
You can serve this with rice and curry meal to add more flavor or any other meal to jazz it up. I often add few pieces of launji in the grilled sandwiches to add a sweet and tangy flavor.
How to Make Aam Ki Launji
Before we start let me tell you this is not traditional recipe how it is made in most homes. This one is my Mother's recipe in which she keeps the peel of green mangoes and cook it as well.
Traditionally mango is peeled and then the similar recipe is followed to make Aam ki launji.
This raw Mango launji recipe is is a great balance of sweet and sour taste. Raw mango is quite tart in taste so to balance it out some sort of sweetness is added.
In authentic recipe gud/jaggery is used but if you do not have that you can add plain white/brown sugar. I added organic liquid jaggery that I bought from recent Bangalore trip.
Because I got a large supply fresh raw organic mangoes from a friend's Mango Orchard so I am experimenting with many new mango dishes. Thank you all of you from Instagram who suggested me so many new ideas using raw mangoes.
This recipe is a tried and tested Aam ki launji recipe from my Mom. From the time I remember no meal in our home was complete without accompaniments 10 types of pickles, papad, Chutneys ...there was always something to spice it up.
Towards the start of summers when last year's Mango pickle was finished and mom was making fresh mango pickle she always made this sweet and sour raw mango launji which we loved with our desi ghee crispy parathas!
I miss those days and simple food we had back then, so here it goes.
How To Make Aam ki Launji
Ingredients to make it
Raw green mango
Spices: Saunf /fennel seeds, Fenugreek seeds methi dana, mustard seeds, nigella seeds kalonji, Salt to taste, red chili powder, turmeric powder
Liquid jaggery / jaggery/ sugar
Kacche Aam ki Launji Recipe Video
More Raw Mango Recipes You Can Try
Aam ki Launji
- 300 g Raw Mango
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- ½ teaspoon saunf fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek seeds methi dana
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds rai
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds kalonji
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 25 ml Liquid jaggery or 1tbsp Gud or sugar
- Heat mustard oil in a pan till it is slightly smoky.
- Reduce the heat to low and add all whole spices.
- When spices start to crackle add turmeric powder, salt and red chili powder.
- Add ¼ cup of water and allow it to come to boil.
- Add cut raw mango slices to the pan and cook them covered on low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Take off the lid and add jaggery or liquid jaggery and mix well.
- Cook for a minute or so and switch off the heat.
- Take Aam ki launji out on to a plate and serve with any Indian meal.