Kerala Egg roast is dry/semi-dry spicy egg curry to serve with Hot and fluffy appams or idiyappam as traditional Kerala breakfast. This egg roast dry curry is also known as nadan mutta roast in Kerala.
I have seen quite a few recipes in which boiled and cut eggs are served over thick dry gravy of onion and tomato. But I feel in good Egg roast recipe or mutts roast recipe eggs should be cooked along with masala to absorb the flavors. It tastes very good with Malabar parrota as well.
This time I served the Kerala egg roast with Turmeric rice. In Kerala Egg Roast is enjoyed most with Appam and Idiyappam or even Dosa. You can also make Kerala Egg curry or Mutta curry with Coconut milk added to it that tastes delicious as well.
There are few other variations of Kerala egg curry. You can this dry egg roast curry recipe from Kerala which is dry in the consistency like this.
Kerala Egg Roast with Coconut Milk
In Kerala egg is known as Mutta so this curry is also popular by the name of mutta roast. It is usually a hot and spicy curry and heat of the curry come from red chili powder and black pepper powder, Which gives this mutta roast a distinct taste and flavor.
If you love eggs and curries you can try out various egg curry recipes from different states on India on the blog. All these recipes I cook quite frequently at my home. These are few different styles of egg curries that you may want to try cooking next time.
- Spicy Kolhapuri Egg Curry / Anda Rasa
- Mumbai Street Style Egg Curry
- Punjabi Egg Masala Curry Recipe
- Egg Dum Biryani
- Saag Anda Curry
- Indian Spicy Egg Bhurji Delhi Style
I also made a quick step by step recipe video of Egg Roast recipe, you can check it below.
I hope you liked the recipe and will try it at your home too. Also, I am excited to share with you that mytastycurry.com now has it’s own youtube channel (DO subscribe it here). On this new channel where you can watch and learn recipes in quick video formats which I shot in a simple no frill manner easy manner to keep the focus on food and recipe.
- 6 eggs boiled and peeled
- 1-2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 onion small sliced thin
- 1 leaves curry sprig
- 2-3 green chillis slit
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder dhania powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper powder
- Heat a pan and add the oil and when oil heats up slightly, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add the sliced onions and curry leaves.
- Add slit green chilis.
- Cook the onions on lowest heat until uniformly light brown in color make sure it does not get burned.
- Now add the fresh grated ginger and all the spices – chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, red chili powder, turmeric, and black pepper powder.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and mix everything well.
- Also, add ½ cup water and cook this gravy until the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- you can adjust the quantity of water according to your preference. Egg roast ideally has dry or semi dry consistency.
- Now make slits in boiled egg and roast the eggs with the gravy for few minutes.
- Coat the eggs well with the gravy and switch if the heat.
- Allow the egg roast to sit for few minutes so that eggs soak up the flavors of gravy.
- Serve the egg roast with appams, idiyappam,parota or even dosa.
Leave me your feedback here please