Kolhapuri Masala recipe. Kolhapuri masala curry base is mainly used as a base in most spicy recipes that come from Kolhapur region of Maharashtra. Earthy, aromatic and extremely spicy, Kolhapuri dishes are not for the people who prefer mild flavours.
In fact, the fiery heat of chilli and aromatic coconutty flavour of Kolhapuri masala is characteristic of all Kolhapuri popular dishes. You can try the popular Kolapuri sabji, Kolhapuri chicken or Kolhapuri egg curry.
I make two types of Kolhapuri masala depending upon the different uses. One is this wet masala which I use up immediately or within 2-3 days. If you are storing the curry paste in the freezer it stays good for 2 months. Also, a dry Kolhapuri masala powder which you can add to your regular basic bhuna masala and quickly make a Kolhapur style curry using that Kolhapuri masala powder.
Kolhapuri Masala Recipe
- 50 g coconut Fresh
- 1 green chili
- 2 chillies whole Red
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
- 5 g black peppercorns powder
- 10 g garam masala powder
- 100 g red onion roughly chopped
- 100 g tomatoes chopped roma
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 15 g ginger
- 2 cloves garlic ( as always Optional)
- 10 g coriander leaves
- 20 ml peanut oil
- Heat up the 10ml peanut oil in the pan, and add grated coconut, red chillies, and roast them for 3-4 minutes on slow to medium heat. Take them out of pan and keep them aside.
- Now in the same pan heat up 10 ml of oil and add curry leaves and garlic and ginger, followed by onion and tomatoes, green chillies, coriander leaves and poppy seeds. Cook all of these for 6-7 minutes over slow heat till tomatoes start to look pulpy.
- Now add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, garam masala powder, black peppercorn powder and salt to taste. Stir together everything and cook for a minute. Take the pan off the heat.
- Let the mix cool a bit and then add coconut chilli mix and this cooked masala in same blender along with ½ cup of water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Use this kolhapuri masala as required in any recipe.
Leave me your feedback here please