Kurkuri Bhindi Recipe is an easy bhindi or okra fry recipe which can be served as a snack or as a side dish with chapati paratha or rice. Kurkuri in Hindi means crisp and Bhindi is Okra or ladies finger the literal meaning of this bhindi recipe is Crispy Okra.
Usually, the kurkuri bhindi recipe is a deep fried dish in which bhindi is coated with spicy and tangy spices first and then deep fried. In the process, it absorbs a lot of oil. I usually stay away from that version of bhindi masala and go with microwave method. While making bhindi in the microwave you can achieve the same crispy texture of kurkuri bhindi with just a tablespoon of oil.
I know, people are very particular about the kind of texture especially when it comes to bhindi. Some like it soft stir fry and some like it super crisp almost like chips, I belong to the latter group who like it super crisp, while husband and son like it well done, not too soft or too crisp.
Cooking okra/bhindi is super simple once you get past from that slimy texture. To remove the slime from okra, drying them before cooking is the most important step. Pat the okra dry with a kitchen towel and preferably keep it in open for 20 minutes before you cook it.
Tips to Cook Okra/ Bhindi in Microwave
- Cooking okra is super simple once you get past from that slimy texture.
- To remove the slime from okra, drying them before cooking is the most important step.
- Pat the okra dry with a kitchen towel and preferably keep it in open for 20 minutes before you cook it.
- Adding acid in form of either lemon, 1 tablespoon of yogurt or mango powder/amchur powder can help to remove slime from the bhindi if you are making kurkuri Bhindi in a pan.
- Adding acid in form of either lemon, 1 tablespoon of yogurt or mango powder can help to remove slime from the bhindi. I have added chat masala in this recipe.
So here is my way of cooking kurkuri bhindi in the microwave. If you love kurkuri bhindi deep fried recipe try this healthier version of the recipe and do let me know how it turned out for you.
KurKuri Bhindi in Microwave Video Recipe in Hindi
- 400 g okra bhindi /
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- to taste salt
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric haldi powder/
- 1 teaspoon masala chat
- ½ teaspoon coriander dhania powder/ powder
- Wash the okra and pat it dry with a kitchen towl.
- Trim both the ends of okra and cut it lengthwise into two pieces.
- Take an ovenproof glass dish, place the cut okra into this dish.
- Add oil, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, chat masala powder, mix everything together.
- Microwave it for 8 minutes on high power and then stir it once with a spatula. Put the dish back in microwave and microwave for 4-5 more minutes.
- Check at this point if it is crisp then stop cooking it anymore, otherwise microwave it for 1 more minute and your crispy microwave bhindi is ready.