Kuzhi Paniyaram is popular breakfast/snack from Tamilnadu which is often served with kara powder ( curry leaves powder ) or sometimes with coconut chutney or moolagapodi depending on personal taste preferences.
I mostly serve it as breakfast along with tempered yogurt and milagai podi , a combination that makes it a complete meal nutritionally. Dal and yogurt for proteins, rice for carbs and vegetables make it all the more wholesome.
If there is some leftover Idli dosa batter in the fridge Kuzhi paniyaram make for great snack. Since I was cooking recipes keeping the IPL twist in mind, so for the match between Chennai Super Kings with Mumbai Indians, nothing could have been a better substitute for milagai podi than Thencha powder, which is almost a staple with any street side snack in Mumbai. Peanut Thencha is good enough for adding the spicy kick to any dish, and with Kuzhi Paniyaram it tasted like a match made in heaven.
For best taste, first dip the paniyarams in tempered yogurt and then dip them in thencha powder for a spicy kick. If you want to make them more nutritious you can add vegetables like grated carrots, corns, green peas and chopped onions. Together with coconut chutney, these Kuzhi Paniyaram can be a great lunch box option for kids.
This recipe is part of T20 Tadka campaign in collaboration with TATA I-Shakti.You can check my other recipes at their Facebook page here. I have created a Pinterest board for the recipes with TATA I-Shakti DO join me on Pinterest. You can follow #T20Tadka on Instagram for other recipes of this campaign.
| T20 Tadka Recipe with TATA I-Shakti
Kuzhi Paniyaram with Thecha and Temeperd Yogurt Dip
- 250 Grams Raw Rice -
- 100 grams Urad dal
- ¼ teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- Curry leaves a handful
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies
- Soak Rice, Urad dal and methi seeds for 4 hours. Now drain the water and grind it into grinder till smooth.
- Take it in a large container, add salt and mix well. Leave to ferment for atleast 8 hours or overnight.
- Now heat oil in a pan, add mustard and urad dal and allow them to splutter.
- Add in asafoetida and curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and cook for one minute. Add salt and mix well.
- Mix this tadka into the batter.
- Heat a paniyaram pan brush it with oil, pour ladleful of batter in each hole.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes. When cooked on one side flip it and cook from another side.