Laccha paratha is popular paratha from North India. Indian cuisine has great variety of flat breads and paratha, and laccha paratha is one of the most popular parathas of India. Since making laccha paratha is all about following the right way of folding, in this post I tried to do step by step method of making laccha paratha.
Laccha paratha is also known as paratwala paratha because it has layers which in hindi is called Parat, hence the name Paratwala paratha. You can make laccha paratha with plain wholewheat paratha dough or with a mix of both whole wheat and all purpose mix. In restaurants they mostly serve all purpose flour ones but at home you can make a healthier version with all wholewheat flour. In this recipe I have made whole wheat paratha.
Here's the step by step method of making Laccha paratha
Mix flour, ghee, salt in a big mixing bowl and add required amount of water to make smooth and stiff dough. The dough should be well kneeded, not too soft but firm and pliable.
Divide it into 4 parts and roll into thin big circles. Brush it with ghee and sprinkle salt and chilli powder over it.
After applying ghee, smear some paratha masala, or dried mint (in case you like the flavour or just salt if you like it plain)
Now Pleat this rolled disc as shown above.
Twist it to make it look like a braid.
Coil it to make a round circle as shown.
If you like it spicy and want to make mirchi paratha you can add green chilli, mint, coriander, basically whatever herbs you like.
Now roll carefully into laccha paratha little bit thicker than normal paratha.
If you cook this recipe of laccha paratha interesting, and find it helpful, please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and keeps me motivated to write more.
- 250 g whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ghee for the dough
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee for brushing
- 2 tablespoon ghee for cooking
- Mix flour, ghee, salt in a big mixing bowl and add required amount of water to make smooth and stiff dough. The dough should be well kneeded, not too soft but firm and pliable.
- Divide it into 4 parts and roll into thin big circles. Brush it with ghee and sprinkle salt and chilli powder over it.
- Now Pleat this rolled disc as shown below and coil it to make a round circle as shown.
- Now roll carefully into accha paratha little bit thicker than normal paratha.
- When you are rolling laccha paratha, you can put flat griddle for heating and when you are ready with rolled paratha smear it with ghee.
- And put that paratha over griddle.
- Cook it from one side till brown spots start to appear and similarly from other side too and cook it till crispy and golden brown.
- Likewise cook all the paratha and serve hot with curd / dal or any curry of your choice.