Makhani gravy popularly known as makhani sauce recipe. Learn how to make Indian Makhani Gravy for curry that you can make in good quantity and keep using later to whip up makhani dishes. The makhani gravy recipe is super easy, make ahead and freezer friendly.
Indian Makhani gravy has become world famous, and If you have tasted it you know it already. Butter chicken, Paneer makhanwala, Dal Makhani are ruling the heart of millions.
Surprisingly making this makhani curry paste does not require any magical skills. You can make one of best tasting makhani gravy with this recipe.
Make a jar full of makhani sauce, stash it in your freezer and enjoy makhani dishes whenever mood strikes.
What Is Makhani Gravy?
It is a flavourful orange coloured gravy or curry paste which is used in making base for makhani dishes. This is also known as Makhani sauce. You can use this as a gravy base for making most butter masala dishes or makhani dishes.
You can easily make Paneer butter masala or makhani paneer, malai kofta, veg makhani and butter chicken , Egg Makhani Gravy etc. So If you are a great fan of Indian food and especially Makhani gravy, you must make this easy makhani curry paste.
Today I am sharing with you a good makhani curry paste which may help you to cook a great tasty makhani gravy or curry in few minutes, that too without too much effort each time you decide to make butter masala or makhanwala dish.
- Onion: Preferably red onions but if not available you can use white or yellow onions.
- Tomatoes: Fresh Tomatoes work better but when not available you can use canned whole tomatoes.
- Ginger-garlic Paste: Optional, If you want to use you can use or skip if you do not like the taste.
- Spices & Seasonings: Turmeric Powder, kashmiri Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, coriander powder, cinnamon stick, kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves), black pepper powder.
- Nuts & Seeds: melon seeds, Almonds
- Butter: More the better 🙂
- If you can't find melon seeds you can use soaked poppy seeds(khas khas)
- If You want to substitute almonds you can use cashews.
- The quantities of ingredients in of this makhani sauce is enough to make any butter masala dish for 10 people.
- If you are freezing the sauce make sure to use good quality freezer safe containers.
- You can make gravy for one time or double or triple the recipe as per your choice.
Makhani Gravy Dishes
You can easily make a variety of dishes with this makhani gravy.
- Paneer butter masala or Paneer Makhan Wala,
- Dal Makhani
- Restaurant Style Dal Makhani
- Malai Paneer kofta
- Butter chicken
- Egg Makhani
Why Makhani Gravy Should be Part Of Your Meal Prep
I believe if you have your basic recipes right everyday cooking becomes easy to manage.
If your kitchen basics like sauces, masala paste, curry paste are ready, cooking good food becomes an easy breezy thing.
Just few basic preparation and planning is helps to whip up lunch and dinners through the week. Mostly on busy schedule I make these Indian curry pastes on weekly basis and stock them in fridge ( How to plan your Indian Meals )
A Variety of Indian curry paste will cover you on the days, when you just want a delicious meal. when sudden guests come by and you want to cook a delicious Indian makhani gravy.
How to Freeze Makhani Sauce
You can make makhani sauce for 2-3 times curries in one go. Use one batch and store rest of the portions in freezer safe containers /ziplock bags. This will come handy for times when you don't want to do elaborate cooking.
More Such Recipes
These Indian Curry pastes are life savers. You can churn up delicious meals quickly every day for most of the meals using these.
- 1 onion large
- 300 g Tomatoes chopped
- 2.5 tablespoon butter
- 2 green chilli
- cinnamon stick
- 1 inch ginger 1pc
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 2 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1.5 cup full fat milk
- coriander for garnish
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Take 2 tablespoon butter and allow it to melt in a pan.
- Add ½ inch pc of ginger and cinnamon stick.
- Now add quartered onion, green chilli and cook on slow heat for 2-3 minutes till onion become translucent.
- Now add quartered tomatoes, add salt and cook for 5-6 minutes till tomatoes are softened.
- Cool the mixture slightly and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Add ½ tablespoon butter to the pan and return the pureed paste to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add kashmiri red chilli powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and add 2 tablespoon of tomato puree and 3-4 tablespoon water in the pan.
- Mix well and add crushed kasuri methi and remove from heat. Store the paste in 2 separate containers, it is sufficient to make makhani gravy for 2 times (for upto3-4 people).
- When you need to make makhani gravy, take out one portion from fridge and add milk/milk cream to make makhani gravy.