Gatte ka pulao is spicy rice dish from Marwari cuisine of Rajasthan. This traditional Rajasthani rice recipe is made with chickpeas flour dumplings called gatta and rice cooked with a lot of aromatic spices. This is also known as Ram khichdi or gatte ki khichdi.
Serve it with famous Rajasthani dal and raita for a tasty hearty meal for dinner or lunch. I suggest make a double batch of besan gatta so that you can make this gatte ki sabji as well.
It’s a traditional rice dish from Rajasthani cuisine, also known as Ram khichdi or gatte ki khichdi. Rice is cooked with boiled and then fried gatta along with fragrant spices. A rustic but so full of comforting flavours this one-pot Rajasthani meal tastes incredibly delicious.
It takes time but the process of making this jodhpuri pulav is simple and easy. You can make it and serve it as everyday meal or pair it with Dal tadka , ker sangri, boondi raita for the special meals.
This one-pot vegetarian dinner recipe is a delicious upgrade from plain rice in your party menu. Cook up this festive recipe of gatta pulao.
Now Lets talk about gatta pulao recipe details.
What is Gatta or gatte?
When it comes to Rajasthani cuisine, Gram flour/besan or bengal gram flour is extensively used. Because this is one crop that grow easily in the Arid conditions.
Gatta are gram flour or chickpeas dumplings that are boiled and sometimes fried for using in Rajasthani dishes.
How to Make Gatte Ka Pulao
Ingredients You Need
Gram flour or besan for making gatte, Long grain Basmati rice, Cooking oil,
Spices and Seasonings: Carom seeds, Red chilli powder, coriander powder dhania, cumin seeds, whole Red chillis, Turmeric powder, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon stick, garam masala powder, Cloves, Salt
Dairy: Curd Dahi / Yogurt, Ghee
Fresh: Onion sliced, green chillies, Coriander Leaves, mint leaves
Stepwise Method To Make it
Making Gatte / gram flour dumplings
In a mixing bowl add gram flour, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, carrom, and curd. Add little oil and make a soft, pliable dough. [Photo 1,2,3]
Cut the dough in 6 equal parts, roll them into a cylindrical shape. [photo 4,5]
Boil water in a deep pan and add these chickpeas flour cylinder to it.[photo 6]
Boil it for 10-12 minutes. Once done, take them out and cut them in small pieces. Keep them aside. [Photo 1,2]
Heat oil in a deep-frying pan, add these gatte pieces in the pan carefully. Deep fry the gatte till they are light golden brown. [Photo3,4]
To Make Gatta Pulav
Heat ghee in a pan and fry some cashews and almonds. Once done take them out and keep aside.
In the same pan add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, whole black peppercorns, cardamoms, green chili, whole red chili, and ginger. Fry for a minute till aromatic. [Photo 5,6]
Add onions and saute them till they are translucent, then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are soft and pulpy. [Photo 1,2,3]
Add washed and soaked rice and mix well. Add double the amount of water for the rice. [Photo 4,5]
Stir to mix well and add salt to taste, chopped mint leaves and garam masala powder. [Photo 6]
Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Next add in fried gatte to it and mix gently. [Photo 1,2]
Cover again and cook for another 5-6 minutes till rice is fully cooked. [Photo 3,4]
Fluff with a fork and serve steaming hot Rajasthani gatte ka Pulav.
How to Serve Gatte ka Pulav
Since this is complete meal and a one-pot dish by itself, you can serve this spicy rice preparation with a chilled bowl of plain yogurt. Or you can serve it with Beetroot Raita, cucumber raita or Boondi raita, Roasted papad and a green salad
Other Rajasthani Dish Recipes You Can Try
Marwari gatta pulao Recipe
- 1 cup Gram flour besan
- ½ teaspoon Ajwain Carom seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder dhania
- 2 tablespoons Curd Dahi / Yogurt
- 1 tablespoons Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 whole red chillies soothe Lal mirch
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder Haldi
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 Bay leaf tej patta , torn
- 3 Cloves Laung
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick Dalchini
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Dhania Leaves , chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves chopped
- In a large mixing bowl add besan, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder, yogurt, oil, and knead into a stiff dough.
- Also you can add a pinch of baking soda, if you like for more soft gatta.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll these into cylindrical shapes and shape.
- Boil water in a deep pan. Add these cylindrical shapes into the boiling water and boil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain the cylindrical gram flour rolls from the water.
- Cut each cylinder into smaller pieces, and keep aside.
- Besan ke gatte are ready.
- Wash rice nicely till water runs clear and keep it aside
- To make gatta pulao take a big pan and heat one tablespoon ghee in a pan.
- Fry some cashew and almonds and keep aside.
- Now add one tablespoon ghee and add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon , whole black pepper corns, cardamoms , green chili ginger and fry for a minute till aromatic.
- Now add onions and saute till they turn golden brown. Add tomatoes and saute them for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt, and mix well.
- Cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add fried gatta and cover. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Switch off the heat
- Keep the pan covered for few more minutes. Serve immediately with plain yogurt or raita.