Hare Matar ki Kheer, Yes you read it right! It’s kheer made with green peas or hare mattar. This very unusual kheer recipe finds it’s origin from Awadhi cuisine. A beautiful green color, rich taste and a soothing texture, all of this makes the matar ki kheer a delightful dessert.
If you are following me on Instagram, you already know that yesterday I had my first ever Insta Cooking class in collaboration with mother dairy. I collaborated with mother dairy and took over their Instagram handle to bring you this matar ki malaidar kheer to you all. If you are not following their Instagram page, I recommend that do it now, because you are going to see a lot of action. I am going to take another Insta class on Monday for a delicious Italian dish, Breakfast frittata so stay tuned for that and join MotherDairy's Instagram handle here
Coming back to matar ki kheer, I cooked this unusual dessert from Awadhi cuisine. Awadhi cuisine is know for the rich taste of most of the dishes and slow cooking (dum cooking). This kheer though exactly not based on dum cooking method, but is slow cooked to a creamy perfection and here I used my special tip of using Mother dairy Cream, which makes this creamier, richer and much more tastier than regular kheer.
Usually in regular recipe of matar ki kheer, tender peas are crushed sautéed in lot of ghee and cooked with milk, and flavoured with cardamom and saffron which gives it nice aroma and an interesting mouth feel. In my recipe of Matar ki Kheer I reduced the quantity of ghee and added in mother dairy cream and lesser quantity of milk. This reduces the cooking time, gives it rich mouthfeel and taste. Also, I added in a very very small quantity of corn flour to thicken it up fast.
You can serve the matar ki kheer hot or cold, as per the season and your preference. Both ways it tastes great. In summers we usually love it chilled and in winters it tastes even better when served warm. I prefer to use fresh and tender peas in the season, but if you are cooking it in summer and fresh peas are not available you can make it with frozen peas as well.
So if you are looking for some more unusual kheer recipes, you can try this carrot kheer or gajar ki kheer or Paneer and rasgulla kheer , Apple ki Thandai wali kheer or even this regular chawal ki kheer which can be made tastier with use of mother dairy cream.
- 1.5 cup Green Peas fresh/frozen
- ½ liter milk I used mother dairy full cream
- 1 Tbsp Ghee I used Mother dairy Pure ghee
- 100 ml Mother Dairy Cream
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 4-5 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp Pistachio chopped/slivered
- 2 Tbsp Almonds sliced
- 2 Tbsp raisins kishmish
- 15-20 saffron strands
- 2-3 green cardamom crushed
- In a blender jar crush 1.25 cups of peas to a coarse paste, and rest of .25 cup to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon ghee in a thick bottomed pan and saute the coarse green peas paste.
- Now add the milk, mix well and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes on very slow heat, stirring it up occasionally.
- Add fine paste of green peas.
- Finally, In a bowl mix 100ml of mother dairy cream and cornflour, and add it to the simmering matar ki kheer.
- Cook for 5 more minutes, add sugar, raisins, crushed green cardamom, 10 saffron strands and mix well.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced pistachio and almonds and remains strands of saffron.
- Enjoy the matar ki malaidar kheer hot or cold as per your preference!