Punjabi style matar paneer curry is my favorite most curry as far as Paneer recipe is concerned. One of the easy paneer recipe luscious and creamy matar paneer is ready in under 30 minutes. This may become one of your best paneer curry recipe.
Matar paneer sabzi or matar paneer curry is hearty vegetarian curry from North Indian cuisine. A kind of staple in most punjabi homes, especially the predominently vegetarian ones like us. I love Mutter paneer, mopping the creamy gravy with small creamy chunks of paneer and tender peas/matar with chapati, paratha is sooo good! Pair this with jeera rice and you have a comforting meal bowl.
For making a good paneer curry, most important thing is the gravy. There are many paneer gravy recipes around, but I simply love this particular gravy for my matar paneer. I use almost similar gravy in making this Aloo Matar Paneer Recipe.
This recipe of matar paneer is inspired from authentic punjabi dhaba style matar paneer curry recipe. I first pan fry the cottage cheese cubes and then cook them in aromatic, flavourful gravy with spices in onion and tomato base. Some people deep fry the paneer, but I like it pan fried as it absorbs very less oil and cook the gravy in same pan.
We love matar paneer sabzi especially more during winters when we get the freshest tender and sweetest green peas. You can make the curry with frozen peas as well but fresh taste way better.
If you are looking for a nutritious meat-free meal, matar paneer with rice makes an excellent meal in a bowl.
Recipe Notes for Making Creamy Matar Paneer Curry
- For making good paneer curry the quality of paneer used is very important. I use my homemade soft paneer.
- When making matar paneer or any other paneer gravy always add paneer in the last. Overcooked paneer becomes rubbery in texture.
- Paneer curry that is made a few hours ago always tastes best because paneer soaks up all the beautiful flavors of the curry. I add the paneer and immediately switch off the heat. It is cooked while you reheat it.
- When cooking matar paneer never skimp on tomatoes. Tomato gives it a tangy taste and a beautiful red hue and tangy taste. I hope that this will make this your best matar paneer curry.
- I avoid adding cashew paste, sometimes I add just a light splash of milk cream or milk. You can add what you like.
To make it flavourful add kasuri methi too. If you love paneer curries you can check out other delicious Paneer curries too Aloo Matar Paneer, Methi Malai Paneer, Kadai Paneer, Paneer Butter Masala, Paneer Koki etc.
Watch Matar Paneer Curry Recipe Video
If you like this Matar paneer recipe and find it helpful, please do share it on facebook, twitter or pin it on Pinterest this may help others too and it keeps me motivated to write more.