Mumbai Masala Toast sandwich recipe is my favorite toasted sandwich.When there are layers of spicy potato filling and green chutney sandwiched between buttery toasted bread, What's not to love! These streetside Mumbai masala toasties are the best toast sandwich ever.
Mumbai is famous for its street food. The variety of street food you get here is amazing. How can you not love spicy Ragada Pattice, Batata Vada, Mumbai Vada Pav, Misal Pav, Pav Bhaji, Mumbai Masala Pav, Dahi Sev Puri Chaat
Mumbai Masala toast sandwich is what I make when I have leftover mashed potatoes. These toasties are different from regular grilled veggie toast, these are made in stove top toast maker. You can make the toast sandwich in a regular grill press, but I feel all the fun comes from the Stovetop toastie maker.
toast sandwich recipe
For making Mumbai Masala toast or sandwich, layers of vegetables and potato filling with spicy chutney are stacked between buttered slices of bread. The stack of bread is then toasted in a sandwich toaster which you can place over stove top and placed on direct flame which results in crispy and spicy Bombay masala toast.
Most of the roadside stalls in the Mumbai have their own version of Mumbai Masala toast with their special blend of sandwich masala, some of them even sprinkle chat masala. Vegetable filling is almost similar on most of the stalls, it's the taste of Bombay sandwich masala and amount of butter used that makes the difference in terms of taste and texture.
Usually, the filling of masala toast includes boiled potato slices, tomato slices and onion slices along with special sandwich masala. But at some places, they do add paneer slice or two and capsicum along with cabbage. And that's how it becomes Mumbai Veg Masala Toast.
There's another variation of masala toast too, which is equally good but quite different in taste profile. I will be posting the recipe and video soon for that too.
If you are in Mumbai, and taste of some street food is must do thing on your agenda, then along with Pao Bhaji and Bhelpuri this Mumbai Masala Toast is must try item there.
But if you are nowhere near Mumbai and want a taste of this popular street-side food from Mumbai, Here's my Easy recipe of Mumbai Masala Toast to try in your own kitchen, and enjoy the spicy taste with a cup of chai.
Also here's detailed Video If you want to watch the steps by step recipe of Mumbai Masala Toast.
Mumbai Masala Toast Recipe Video
If you are fan of Mumbai street food you might like to check many other recipes of Mumbai street food on my website too.
- 6 bread Slices
- 30 g butter
- 4 - 5 tbsps Green chutney
- 200 g potato medium size (boiled and sliced into roundels)
- 100 g tomoto sliced
- 100 g paneer sliced
- 1 teaspoon masala sandwich
- 20 g mozzarella cheese
- 40 g cabbage chopped
- 10 g sev
- 2 green chilli (chopped)
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (chopped)
- Butter all the slices of breads with thin layer of butter from one side.
- On the other side of the bread apply green chutney all over that side.
- Now place one bread buttered side downwards facing and chutney side upwards facing.
- For making first layer place the sliced potatoes in one layer and sprinkle with chaat masala/sandwich masala.
- Cover this layer with other side of the bread and in the second layer place sliced tomatoes, paneer slices and sprinkle some more sandwich masala. Add the cabbage, chopped coriander and few green chillies if you like it spicy.
- Top these layers with third slice of bread chutney side down and butter side up
- Now take a flame toaster if you have or you can use electric toaster if you don't have this type of toaster. Apply butter with a brush on both the sides of toaster.
- Place the prepared sandwich in the toaster and place it over direct medium flame if you are using non electric flame toaster and cook 1.5 minutes on each side.
- If you are using electric griller and toaster both sides will be cooked simultaneously and it will take approximately 3 minutes according to power of your sandwich maker. Please check the Manuel for exact time.
- When the sandwich is toasted take it out onto a plate, cut it into 4 equal sized parts and grate some cheese over this mumbai masala toast.
- Finally garnish it with fine sev, green chilli and coriander leaves and serve this Mumbai masala toast with spicy green chutney and tomato ketchup for a lip smacking Mumbai roadside food experience.