In Palak Mushroom Curry, sliced mushrooms are cooked with spices and spinach based gravy which is made rich and creamy by adding dairy to it. In this recipe of palak mushroom curry I added paneer as well so that technically makes it Palak paneer mushroom.
There are days when you crave for something spicy, something that is soul satisfying. Rainy days make me want to indulge is spicy, hot food. Give me hot soup, roasted corn with spicy mix and a good rub of lemon, or some hot and spicy curry.
Basically Indian food or speciafically winter special Punjabi curries, which I have grown up eating, and the curries that I can mop with my chapati or paranthas. Because growing up in North Indian spinach or Palak was only available in winters. Yes that was the time when we used to rely on only seasonal ingredients like palak, sarson, methi basically all greens were available during winters.
This was one such rainy day when I decided to cook this punjabi curry of palak mushroom. The curry is not only spicy and helps to satisfy the cravings, but is absolutely healthy too. Spinach is not only popeye favourite veggie, at our home we love spinach too, anything with it Dal Palak, sarson ka Saag, Spinach in Healthy scrambled eggs , spinach in salads, curries, Kacchi kairi and Palak Rice and specialty of the rainy season, palak pakora too. Do you know that Spinach was called as The Spanish vegetables by the English people? Strange but true.
This is a powerful combination of spinach and milk in the gravy that makes it almost super food as both are a very rich source of calcium. Milk and paneer are the rich sources of proteins too. So spinach and mushroom curry is a must in your recipe repertoire if you are a vegetarian and looking at something that is low in carbs and high in proteins.
Earlier I used to cook this gravy with addition of milk cream which made it very rich in taste but not really great for expanding waistline and a metabolism that threatens to slow down every passing day 🙂 .
As it is consumption of milk is helpful in controlling weight, it contains riboflavin ( Vitamin B2 ) which is known to boost metabolism by converting food into energy and niacin which is helpful in swift metabolism of sugars and fatty acids from fats.
Paneer is also homemade which is made with mother dairy skim milk, because I wanted to keep the fat content very low and skim milk has a low fat content and contains almost same amount of other nutrients like minerals , vitamins and proteins etc. which makes it ideal choice for weight watchers (Here is how I make Paneer at home).
The gravy of spinach and mushroom curry does not contain too much fat, but here is tip to make it look rich. I have cooked the gravy in just one tablespoon of oil and used a tempering of pure ghee over curry while serving to make it look like same rich Indian gravy … Win win I think 🙂
To make this spinach mushroom curry recipe healthier, I have substituted heavy cream with the skimmed milk, which tastes almost similar but texture and mouth feel are bit different. But I am quite OK to forgo the texture for sake of health. Skim milk is a healthier option over milk cream any day; we get a healthy dose of calcium and vitamins without worry of additional fats that is present in most curries.
Other Recipes that I Cooked with Mother Dairy Milk
- 200 g mushroom
- 200 g tomato
- 400 g spinach
- 2 tbsps ghee
- to taste salt
- to taste red chilli powder
- 2 - 3 chilli whole
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- coriander powder 1 tsp
- Boil water in a big pot and add washed spinach leaves into this pot. Keep the leaves in boiled water for 2-3 minutes and immediately transfer these leaves in ice cold water. This helps to retain the green color of the leaves.
- Make a puree of these boiled spinach leaves in blender and keep the spinach puree aside.
- Heat one teaspoon oil in a pan and add pureed tomatoes to it. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat, and when tomatoes start to leave sides of pan add garam masala powder, coriander powder and stir it well.
- Now add spinach puree as well cook it for 4-5 minutes so that raw taste of spinach is no longer there.
- When spinach is cooked, add milk and also sliced mushrooms and cubed paneer too. Simmer the curry for 7-8 minutes till it starts to thicken, keep stirring in between.
- To prepare the tempering for mushroom and spinach curry, heat ghee and before it reaches smoke point add red chilli powder and round red chili, let this cook for 30 seconds or so and immediately add it over the curry.
- Serve the warm or hot palak mushrooms with hot phulkas or parantha.