Mushroom makhana and Palak Sabzi is delicious and healthy curry for everyday meals. It is tomato and onion based gravy which is vegan, gluten-free, low GI, and is suitable for diabetics.
Mushroom Makhana curry is a delicious and healthy recipe which is rich in nutrients. I further added palak/spinach to make it even healthier. So, if you are looking for a nutritious and tasty Indian meal option you can pair this curry with whole wheat flatbread/chapati or brown rice. It tastes good with Basmati rice or Paratha too. It’s really up to you how much healthier you want to make it and what is your taste preference.
Nutrition In Mushroom Makhana curry
Makhana, also known as fox nuts or lotus seeds are a good source of protein, carbohydrates. It also rich in minerals like potassium, iron, and phosphorus etc. Low sodium and high magnesium content make it a good option for people with high blood pressure and diabetics.
Mushrooms are another low-calorie ingredient of this mushroom makhana curry. Mushroom is a good source of protein and Vitamin B niacin and riboflavin. So if you are a vegetarian including mushroom in your everyday meal is a good idea. Spinach we all know how healthy are green vegetables. Mushrooms are also known as Khumb that is why in Indian restaurants, mushroom dishes are also known as Khumb dishes.
All three healthy ingredients mixed with simple herbs and spices make a delicious curry known as Khumb mushroom palak which is a favorite at our home. If you love healthy meals that are tasty as well I am sure this will be your favorite too.
The other day we served it with Dal Palak, another Punjabi dal recipe.
Meal Prep for Mushroom Makhana Palak Sabzi
Making Indian curry is quite easy if you know how to meal prep for Indian cooking. To make the task easier I have listed following meal preps you can do.If you follow this you can always cook curry in a hurry.
- You can roast makhana in the microwave and store them in container beforehand and use them as required for making dishes like kheer and roasted snack etc.
- Mushrooms can be cleaned and cut in advance and stored in the refrigerator in a container with some pore to allow them to come in air contact.
- Spinach can be chopped before and kept in the refrigerator. Make sure it is dried before chopping. Otherwise, you can freeze the spinach and it can be used in the frozen state in the curry.
- You can make bhuna masala in advance and use the paste instead of making fresh masala as described in this recipe. Add additional spices mentioned in the spice list if you are using bhuna masala.
Mushroom Makhana Curry - Khumb Mushroom aur Palak ki Sabzi
- 200 g mushroom cut into 4
- 150 g foxnuts makhana
- 200 g spinach cleaned and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 150 g Boiled Onion paste
- 150 g tomato puree fresh
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Dry roast fox nut in a pan/microwave and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add ginger paste to it.
- Sauté for a minute add bay leaf and boiled onion paste. Cook it for 4-5 minutes on medium heat while stirring it in between.
- Now add turmeric powder, salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and 3-4 tablespoon of water if required and cook on medium heat for 7-8 minutes.
- Stir it in between and cook till masala starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Now add chopped mushrooms and spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1cup water and cover. Cook for 7-8 minutes and add garam masala powder and roasted makhani/fox nut and serve it hot.