Mushroom Tikka is an easy Indian starter. An easy recipe of Mushroom Tikka, in which mushroom are marinated in a creamy and spicy marinade and grilled or baked. It is a healthy Indian appetizer and protein rich recipe made from button mushrooms.
It is a healthy Indian appetiser and protein rich recipe made from button mushrooms. If you are following low GI diet like I do most of the times, this mushroom tikka recipe is Low in glycemic index and is gluten free as well. Mushrooms are very versatile as an ingredient, you can make a variety of Indian and continental dishes using mushrooms. Mushrooms are one such vegetable that could be easily used to replace any kind of meat in most of the dishes. So Tikka recipe is great way to enjoy the mushrooms. Other Indian mushroom recipes Matar mushroom masala curry, Palak Paneer Mushrooms,
The popularity of mushrooms matches of paneer among vegetarians and brings deep earthiness and texture to your dish. It's easily available everywhere and in all seasons, unlike the seasonal vegetables, so you can make the mushroom dishes easily all year long.
You can cook mushroom tikka dry and serve it as a starter or make Mushroom tikka masala gravy like Paneer Tikka Masala or Chicken Tikka Masala. You can make Tandoori mushroom tikka in Tandoor, but I find the most convenient way is to cook them on in grill pan/tava and then grill them for few minutes in the oven, as keeping tandoor in the home is nearly impossible if you live in an apartment.
This mushroom tikka dry recipe is inspired from the Chicken Tikka. It can also be had as a dry vegetable dish with the main course and leftovers can be used as stuffing to make sandwiches or subs for breakfast and snacks. For making mushroom tikka marination I used almost same spices and marinade that I use to make paneer tikka masala.
I grilled the mushrooms with other vegetables on skewers in the oven after marination. but you can cook mushroom tikka without oven too. You can cook it in pan, tandoor or barbecue, whichever is available and convenient.
The flavors of spices, vegetables, and mushrooms make this dish luscious. Mushrooms are a great source of anti -oxidants, magnesium and minerals combined with the goodness of curd and vegetables, this can be your favorite healthy snack or Indian starter for the party.
If you love mushrooms there is another mushroom appetizer on my website which you might want to try is Crispy mushroom skewers, and Za'atar Spiced Mushrooms. Mushroom risotto, Cream of Mushroom Soup, One pan mushroom pasta
Mushroom Tikka Recipe with Video
- For marination!
- 1- inch ginger grated
- ½ cup yoghurt curd
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi
- Other ingredients!
- 50 g baby tomatoes
- 150 g bell pepper
- 150 g onions
- 400 g Mushrooms
- Wash, clean and dry the mushrooms properly and keep it aside.
- Chop your vegetables in big square pieces.
- Mix in together all the ingredients from above list for marination in a bowl.
- Add your mushrooms and vegetables to the bowl.Leave it to marinade for 1 -2 hrs in refrigerator.
- Put the vegetables and mushrooms on skewers in random order.
- Now place the skewers on a baking tray and bake them in a preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skewers from oven and put some lemon juice over the tikka
- Serve hot with chutney.
- Mushrooms are hard to clean so be delicate with them and do it properly as they grow close to dirt.
- You can cut mushroom into smaller pieces too as per liking.
- Let the vegetables and mushroom stay in the marinade for minimum 30 minutes.
- You can use wooden or metal skewers and if using wooden, soak them in water an hour before use.
- You can bake them in the oven, grill them or barbecue.The cooking time varies hence keep a close watch to prevent the vegetables from burning.