Most of us love paratha, It’s favorite North Indian breakfast staple, in fact, I personally can eat it any time of the day. In this post I am sharing with you tips to make healthy Paratha and why paratha can be a healthy breakfast option.
Healthy Paratha does exist, Yes! A paratha can be a healthy food. it is the way how we cook any particular food makes it healthy or unhealthy. If you cook paratha with lots of fat and ghee or make paratha stuffing with unhealthy ingredients, naturally paratha is going to be an unhealthy choice.
The paratha ingredients make a difference in terms of healthy recipe as well as taste.
The flour used in making paratha makes a lot of difference too, choose multigrain flour (multigrain atta) or whole wheat flour to make healthier paratha. Here is recipe for Our Favorite Stuffed paratha recipes.
If you eat paratha for the breakfast every day you can use following tips to make healthy parathas.
Tips for making tasty and healthy Paratha
- Add sooji while making the paratha dough which makes it khasta.
- Use whole wheat flour for making paratha dough. Instead of using Maida as some people use, make whole wheat paratha.
- Adding milk while making paratha makes paratha soft and paratha stays fresh longer.
- While kneading paratha dough add milk. Either knead it with milk or half milk and half water can be used. Milk makes it more nutritious and paratha comes out much softer.
- Choose the paratha stuffing in such a way that it is high in protein like paneer, tofu, dal, and eggs etc.
- When you are making paratha stuffing, take care a to use a variety of vegetable stuffings and use more vegetables than aata (whole wheat flour).
- If you want to make low-calorie paratha use a lesser amount of ghee/oil. Firs, cook paratha without ghee from both sides and then brush them with ½ teaspoon ghee on both sides. You will see your paratha comes out well cooked and perfectly crisp. Cook them in such a way that you use less amount of oil.
What is the best fat to cook Healthy Paratha?
Which fat is good to cook Paratha mainly depends on your taste. Any neutral tasting oil works good or if you like ghee you can use that too. I personally like to add ghee, which is now considered healthy if you take care of the quantities.
How many Paratha to eat in one meal? What is the ideal serving size of paratha?
This is an important aspect of keeping our food healthy. Even a perfectly healthy food eaten in large quantities is not healthier option anymore. Portion control is most important while eating any meal. I personally eat one paratha in one meal (around 250-300calories). Instead of serving it with lots of butter or dal makhani etc. you can serve paratha with ½ a bowl of dahi/ yogurt or bowl of dal if you want to keep calories towards the lower side.
You can try these delicious Paratha Recipes with these tips and make them healthier
Disclaimer: Though I have studied nutrition in detail, this blog is not intended for any dietary advice whatsoever.
If this article was helpful to you, share it with friends and family on facebook, twitter or WhatsApp.