Punjabi style stuffed Karela recipe, simple and easy. In this North Indian stuffed Karela Sabzi recipe , the karela or bitter gourd is fried with fried onion and Indian spices.
Bharwan karela is a delicious, healthy and a super simple recipe. I know some of the people who do not love karela or rather hate it, because of it’s strong bitter taste. But, believe me once you know how to cook karela in right way and acquire the slight bitterness the Karela sabzi can easily be one of your favourites.
As a child I hated it too but once I started eating, I simply love karela and during season you can find the sabzi in my fridge. Karela sabzi makes an excellent side with any Indian curry and easily stored in fridge for upto a week so making a good amount and consuming it often with your Indian meals is a great way to include this delicious punjabi style stuffed karela sabzi.
You can even use Karela peel or karela scrape sabzi with the peel of karela you prepare using this stuffed karela recipe. This Karele ke chilke and Aloo bhurji recipe is what I make using the Karela scrapes.
Health Benefits of Karela
- Karela is good for purifying blood and is considered good for diabetic people. Along with being rich in minerals like potassium, iron and calcium Karela is great source of dietary fiber and
- It is a rich source of vitamin C, B1, B2, and B3. It also contains minerals like zinc, alkaloids, manganese, and folic acid in good amount. So once you get past of the bitter taste of karela it is a tasty and healthy addition to your meals.
How to Reduce bitterness from Karela / Bitter gourd
- For removing bitterness from karela, first step is to remove the peel with a small knife. Scrape off the peel as I shown in video of stuffed karela below.
- If seeds are too big and ripe remove them.
- Rub peeled karela with salt and keep them for 2-3 hours and after that wash them nicely and wipe with a kitchen towel before cooking. This will reduce the bitterness of karela to some extent.
- Some people keep karela dipped in boiled salted water for sometimes which is also effective in reducing bitterness from karela, but I personally rub them with salt and proceed with the recipe of making karela sabzi.
For making this North Indian style Punjabi Onion stuffed karela sabzi, I prepared the karela with above method of salting it and then using it. A delicious onion stuffing is made for the karela by caramelising sliced onions on slow heat and adding lots of Indian spices and stuffing the karela with this onion stuffing. Stuffed Karela or bhawan karela us then tied with a thread so as to prevent the stuffing from spilling out and fried in a wok or pan. In this recipe I cooked it using pan frying method you can deep fry them after tying thread, if you wish so. Traditionally this punjabi style bhawan karela sabzi is made by deep frying. I used pan frying method just to keep the oil intake in check.
Even if you are a karela hater, give this Karela recipe a try once, you might start liking it :). If you love karela there is another karela recipe which you might like Crisp Fried Karela, Karele ke Chilke ki Sabzi, Achari Aloo Karela