Ragda Pattice recipe: I am in love with this Mumbai street food. This delicious chaat recipe from Maharashtra and Gujarat is made of two components. Ragda or white peas curry and pattice which are patties made with potatoes and spices. The pattice are topped with ragada or white peas curry, other chutneys and crunchy sev to serve as a substantial meal.
It is a popular snack that can be found in every other corner of Mumbai. This finger-licking delicious Mumbai chaat recipe is literally the best chaat I have had in a while. Yes! I need to plan it beforehand if I am making this, but the time spent making this is totally worth it. After the Matar Kulcha recipe which is also a white peas curry and popular Delhi chaat I was missing this ragda pattice recipe, so I had to make it 🙂
This Bombay chaat of Ragada pattice recipe is somewhat similar to Chole Tikki that is more popular in North India. That is why in some parts it is known as matar ke chole. It looks similar but tastes wise Ragda recipe is quite different. I often make it and serve it as a meal as it is quite wholesome and filling. Actually most of these chaat recipes we enjoy as a meal rather than a snack. For a snack, you can make a mini version of this same ragda pattice recipe.
This tangy Mumbai chaat has two main components: ragda and pattice/ patties. Ragda or ragada is white peas that are cooked in aromatic spices and sprinkled with onions and coriander leaves. To make Pattice recipe I use mashed potatoes, spices and corn flour, you can use bread crumbs if you wish to. The taste of any chaat or street food comes from the balance of sweet, spicy and tangy, this is a perfect balance of all three. I shallow fried the pattice you can either deep fry, shallow fry or Air fry as per your taste preference.
In many instances, I have been asked how I find this recipe so easy. In truth the trick is by unchangingly following the recipe process and making it enough times, to be in perfect synchronization with the recipe. The reason people find making ragda patties a bit complicated is that of the two recipes (ragada and patties) that need to be made simultaneously in order to make this Mumbai chaat.
Ragda Pattice Recipe Video
You can learn how I make this recipe with ease by following the process below. Whenever I have a chance to visit Mumbai, I make it the point to eat Mumbai Chaat. But, for sudden chaat cravings at home, this ragda pattice recipe is perfect and tastes quite similar to authentic Mumbai ragda pattice. Just the sort of food to make on a weekend.
The Recipe for making this ‘chatpata’ chaat is actually a mix of two recipes, ragda recipe, and pattice recipe. I mostly prefer to make them simultaneously. while ragda is still bubbling on one stove a fry the pattice on the second stove and by the time ragda is done pattice are cooked too.
After that assembling of the chaat, I always prefer to do on the table. Serve the ragda in a bowl or pour it over the patty, garnish with crispy onions, coriander leaves, and some green chilies.
How To Make Ragda Pattice: Recipe Notes
- In order to make ragada/ ragda, pour white peas in a bowl of fresh water and soak them overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- After 8 hours the white peas will double in size, then discard the water and put the white peas in a cauldron.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and baking soda in the cauldron and cook the white peas.
- You can always boil and peel the potatoes while making them for patties ahead of time. Pressure cook the potatoes and mash well.
- You can always stuff the patties with your favorite veggie as per your taste.
Ragda Pattice Recipe
For Making Ragada:
- 250 gms Dried White Peas
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ¼ cup Chopped Onion
- 1 teaspoon Ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Green Chillies
- ¼ Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- 2-3 tablespoon water
For Making Pattice:
- 350 gms Boiled Potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander Leaves
Steps To Perfectly Boil White Peas
- In order to make the savoury Ragada Pattice start off with washing the white peas with fresh water and then soaking them in water for 4-5 hours.
- After they are well soaked, discard the water using a mesh strainer.
- Add the soaked peas in a pressure cooker and then add some add salt and water to it. Pressure cook the peas for 3 whistles and then allow the cooker to cool naturally.
- After the cooker is cooled down, take the peas out in a bowl.
Steps To Make Ragada
- Now, to make ragda heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds in it.
- After that add ¼ cup of chopped onions and saute them until they become beautiful golden brown.
- After saute the onions for 2 minutes, add 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste in the mix. Stir the onion and the paste well for another 1 minute in medium heat.
- When the color of the onion turns golden brown add ½ cup of chopped tomatoes in them. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh green chillies and cook them till the tomatoes turn soft.
- After a minute add the spices including ¼ turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder and a teaspoon of chaat masala in it. Saute all the spices well for 2-3 minutes until the color turns to brown. After the spices are sauteed add 2-3 tablespoon of water in the pan. Now, cook the spices in the pan until the tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
- After the tomatoes are soft and pulpy add boiled white peas in them (which we have boiled earlier) . Add salt to taste. Stir the ingredients in the pan for a minute and then turn off the heat.
- Take out the delicious ragada in a plate.
- (Precaution: Since we added salt while boiling the white peas, you can adjust the amount of salt according to your preference while making the ragada.)
Steps To Make Pattice
- Take 350 gms of potatoes and boil them in a cooker. Now, peel the potatoes and mash them well in a bowl.
- Now, add coriander leaves, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and salt to taste in the bowl.
- After the spices add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste and 2-3 tablespoon of cornflour (to bind the mashed potatoes and spices together) in the bowl.
- Mix the potatoes and spices well with your hands and prepare a dough of it.
- Take small parts of the well mixed potatoes and shape them in patty forms.
- Make patties/ pattice of the dough and keep them aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and shallow fry the patty from all sides. Keep the heat to medium-high while shallow frying the patties.
- After they are shallow-fried, take all the patties out on a plate.
Steps to Assemble:
- Pour few tablespoons of ragda (that we made previously) over a plate.
- Place the hot patties on top of the ragada and serve them by sprinkling some green chillies, chopped onion, tomatoes, tamarind chutney, coriander leaves and sev on it.
- Your tangy Ragada Pattice is ready to devour.
If you love the recipes, do share it with your friends and family. Also, like us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Whatsapp. Pin us on Pinterest, we would love to hear from you do leave your comments below. You can also subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by messaging Subscribe on +91-8368756817