Rajma pulao is delicious one pot meal for vegetarians. The Indian Rajma pulao recipe or kidney beans pulao recipe is very simple and it makes a hearty comfort meal.
Rajma chawal is one classic combination, for us Punjabi’s, it is an ultimate comfort food. In many homes, Rajma and chawal is a Sunday Lunch essential. So anything that combines both in one meal is always a good idea to me.
Rajma pulao recipe is a winner meal idea for more than one reason, First and foremost being taste, it is a one pot meal that’s convenience, It is quick if you have (pre-boiled Rajma) It’s ready in 20 minutes and the best thing, It is healthy too!
So, one can say If you are looking for a quick, easy tasty and healthy meal idea that is so much better than a take-out or fast food, the Rajma chawal Pulao ticks all these scores.
Rajma pulao is perfect for quick fix meal and makes a great packed lunch option too. Rajma/kidney beans is a great source of proteins and fiber if you want to make this even healthier you can replace white basmati rice with Brown basmati rice. I have used long grain basmati rice to cook this spicy Rajma Pulao.
In this recipe, I have used pre-cooked rajma, because cooking time for rice and rajma is different. If you use soaked kidney beans there are chances that either one of these is undercooked or overcooked. So using pre-boiled kidney beans is a better option when you are making this Rajma pulao. You can also use canned kidney beans. I used regular Chitra rajma which I use for making Punjabi Rajma Masala curry
Serve the Rajma Pulao with any of your favorite raita or plain tomato curry. If you like one pot convenience meals this Kala chana pulao is another recipe you can try.
- 250 g Red kidney beans/ Rajma
- 200 g basmati rice
- 2 Green chilli 2Tbsp ghee finely chopped
- 100 g onion sliced
- 150 g Tomatoes chopped
- 150 g potato small cubes
- Salt to taste
- teaspoon Red chilli powder – 1
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 cloves
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 1 Star anise
- ½ inch cinnamon
- 1 mace flower
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- chopped coriander for garnish
- Soak rajma /kidney beans for minimum 6-7 hrs. Discard the water in which rajma is soaked and pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- Wash and soak long grain basmati rice and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Now in a deep pan heat ghee, add cumin, bay leaf, mace, star anise, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf cook for a minute on low till spices become fragrant.
- Add grated ginger, sliced onion, and slit green chilies. Saute till onion start to turn pink.
- Add finely chopped tomato, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder and cook until tomato becomes mushy and pulpy.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cook the masala for a minute and add cooked rajma in the pan. Stir to combine everything.
- Now add soaked and drained rice to the pan and gently mix everything.
- Add 350ml of water and cover to cook on medium-low heat for 12-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes open the lid to a delicious aroma of perfectly cooked Rajma pulao.
- Fluf the rice gently and it is ready to serve.
- Enjoy it hot with a side of raita, pickle, and papad for a tasty and quick comfort meal