Rajma Recipe is one of the favourites in Punjabi homes. After all Rajma chawal is a favourite dish in most Punjabi homes. We are no exception, I simply love this combo! and, I have my favourite Rajma masala recipe too, which I learned from Mom.
If you love North Indian recipes, there is one dish you will see everywhere on the menu. Ask any Punjabi about their comfort food, Rajma chawal recipe will be the winner with a clear majority. Bean and rice recipes are a staple in many cuisines. Rajma curry is a dish which is a true delight for most North Indians. This curry and rice is an amazing combination, Here's How to Make Punjabi Rajma recipe, an easy Kidney beans recipe.
Rajma in English is red kidney beans. Boiled kidney beans are cooked into a thick creamy curry recipe and served over steamed rice. Add a dollop of ghee on top of steaming plate of rajma chawal, it is heaven on your plate. Believe me! it is totally worth the calories.
It is a comfort food for me, a dish which simply provides the comfort, lights up the memories with just its warmth and aroma. I think that comfort food is termed as comfort food because it works as a salve for our souls. It goes beyond the taste of the food alone. Sometimes is more about the emotions, and happiness that comes with those food memories.
During my growing up years, I and my younger sister always used to look forward to Sundays, because Rajma chawal would be the highlight of the lunch. Till date, Sundays are for Rajma masala curry at home with plain steamed rice, a bowl of boondi raita and papad. I would like to add here, When I started cooking, amongst the first dishes I learned, How to cook Rajma recipe was high on priority.
That was silly old me, but when my son after finishing his course abroad called and wanted me to make rajma chawal first thing when he came home after months, it sure reaffirms my belief in the power of real comfort food and the connection that food provides.
One of Sunday Meals which Mom cooked a few days ago, Rajma Masala, Chawal, Tamatar wala Paneer, Paratha, and papad… try that it is sheer bliss.
Red kidney beans on its own are quite nutritious. A 100 gram serving of boiled Rajma is about 140 calories, 5.7 gm protein, 5.9 gm fat and 18 gms of carbs. You can use them in salads, make this Rajma pulao or try them as Veg galouti Kabab. It is delicious in any form.
Before I get carried away anymore, Here is easy Punjabi Rajma recipe that I learned from my Mom. This is recipe is without garlic, you can add ginger garlic or skip that according to your preference. You can also make Rajma Masala recipe in Instant Pot pressure cooker, I will post the recipe very soon.
Recipe Notes: Rajma Masala Recipe
- If you soak kidney beans for few hours Cooking them is easier and takes a lot less time.
- Always discard the water in which Rajma is soaked it will reduce the gaseous nature of the dish.
- Do not overcook while boiling, it will result in mushy texture.
- Basmati Rice tastes best with Rajma recipe, I always serve them with long grain Basmati rice.
- You can add a small pinch asafoetida /hing to get rid of gaseous nature as well.
How To Make Rajma (Hindi Video)
If you enjoy my food and recipes, Follow me on Instagram for daily food updates. I keep posting my recipes, tips and kitchen hacks on Twitter. watch the full-length videos on my youtube channel and Do take out a minute to rate the recipe and let me know your feedback.
If you like this recipe feel free to share it on Facebook and WhatsApp and leave us your comments below. We love listening to your feedback! You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp Recipe broadcast for Free by saving "mytastycurry" in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
Rajma Recipe - How to Make Rajma
- 2 Cups red kidney beans soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- ½ cup onion paste
- 1 cup tomato puree fresh
- ¼ cup tomato puree from the pack
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Rajma Masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 inch ginger
- 2-3 leaves Tbsp Coriander chopped
- 2-3 cups Steamed Rice to serve
- Wash and soak kidney beans for 4-6 hours . Discard water and pressure cook soaked rajma/kidney beans with 3 cups of water and ½tsp of salt in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles or you can use canned red kidney beans If you are in a hurry.
- Heat oil in a thick pan, cook onion and green chilli paste in oil till it is light brown in colour.
- Add tomato puree and also turmeric powder, red chilli powder and little bit of salt if required.
- Cook the masala paste over medium heat for 6-7 minutes till it starts to leave the sides of pan.
- Immediately add cooked kidney beans along the liquid and mix it well with masala paste, add garam masala and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve it over a bed of steamed basmati rice/chawal for a perfect Rajma Chawal meal.
Rajma Chawal Indian Meal Serving Ideas
Rajma Masala Dal Makhani, Laccha Paratha Meal
Rajma curry, Dal palak, Palak Mushroom Indian Meal
Kashmiri Rajma, Chawal, Lauki Sabzi, salad meal
Punjabi Rajma Chawal, Kurkuri Bhindi and Punjabi Dahi bhalla recipe