Ram Laddoo is crispy moong dal pakora or fritters. This recipe is one of most popular Delhi chaat recipe. A perfect tea time snack these crispy Ram ladoo are topped with chutney and shredded radish. It's vegan, gluten-free and low GI recipe.
Ram laddoo is crispy outside and fluffy inside topped with green chutney, Imli chutney, and grated radish. This is one of the best best Indian street-side snack ever in winters you can find on Delhi streets. These are also known as gulgule. It is the only deep-fried snack that I can’t resist most of the times.
Till the date of all the ram ladoo I have tried, I got in best savoury ladoo Lajpat Nagar Market. Someone just told me the best chaat is available in Delhi Chaat heaven Chandani Chowk, I still have to try those.
Ram ladoo is basically or pakora or savory fritter made with moong dal and chana dal batter. Street vendors selling steaming hot laddoo during winters is quite a common sight in Delhi streets and markets. Winters have just started and I had full week’s off from shoots and all work. A lot of good food was cooked and eaten in the company of friends and family during Potlucks and Brunches.
I was able to click pictures of few delicious snacks and that I cooked. These make an excellent teatime snack to serve with steaming hot cup of kadak chai. So this recipe of Ram Laddoo is also a popular Chai Nashta recipe from Delhi. Though this tastes pretty good on its own, with Chai, it becomes a real food heaven.
To make Ram Laddoo, a batter of moong dal (yellow dal) and chana dal ( Bengal gram daal) is made. Small nuggets which are made with hands are deep fried and then topped with Ram laddoo chutney, sweet tamarind chutney and green chutney with grated radish. For extra taste squeeze of lime juice can be added.
Winters are the perfect time to indulge in Chai Nashta so you can try the other chai nashta recipes from my #MTCchaiNsahta Series. and some of my special favorite Winter time Chai Nashta are , Ragi and Methi Pakoda , Misal Pav, and Dahi ke Sholey ,Paneer ke pakode, Paneer bites , crispy corn Pakora, Palak paneer Pakora.
This makes a great Make ahead recipe for party snacks. You can prepare them beforehand. When you want to serve, just microwave the ladoo and top it with chutney, grated radish and coriander and enjoy!
Tips to Make Soft Ram Laddoo
Delhi style ram laddoo are soft from inside and crispy outside. The secret of making them soft is the way you make the batter. After grinding the batter make sure to whip it with a spoon to incorporate lot of air in the batter. Another method is to add a pinch of bicarb, which also makes them super soft and they soak up sauces nicely.
Ram Laddoo | A Popular Delhi Street Side Snack #MTCchaiNashta
- 200 g moong daal Yellow lentil
- 50 g chana dal Bengal Gram Dal
- 1-2 green chilies
- ½ inch ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- To Gannish!
- 4 tablespoon radish Grated
- 4-5 sprigs Fresh coriander
- 3-4 Lemon wedges
- ¼ cup tamarind chutney
- ¼ cup Green chutney
- Wash and soak both the lentils in enough water for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the water grind the dals with green chilies, ginger and asafoetida.
- Take out the mixture in a bowl add salt and red chilli powder, mix well
- Heat oil in a deep pan till it starts to smoke.
- Spoon out small spoon full of mixture in and drop small size dumplings in hot oil.
- Deep fry on medium heat till golden brown in colour and then drain on a paper napkin.
- Take them in a seving plate or as I took wooden bowls, top with toppings like tamarind chutney and green chutney.
- Finsih with grated raddish , squeeze lime juice and some chopped coriander and serve with a tooth pick.
- You can add chaat masala, red chili powder too if you like them more spicy and enjoy the Ramladdoo with steaming hot ginger chai