Some of us might enjoy the restaurant style butter paneer recipe for the time being, but after you have indulged yourself thoroughly, you know the feeling. That guilt trip! I always feel that no matter what.
But tell me something! you are a vegetarian and a Punjabi, what is your most frequent dish to order in an Indian restaurant? No prize for guessing here, you have very limited choices Dal makhani, paneer makhani, Shahi paneer, paneer lababdar and some such dishes. Ask for a healthy choice and you get Yellow dal, the only reason I don't usually eat Indian food when we are dining out. I would rather eat such stuff at home, which is much healthier and without the copious amount of ghee/butter or cream in it.
Basically, my version of Paneer butter masala recipe a cheat's version of paneer makhani recipe. It gives you the same creamy texture of paneer curry but with the lesser aftertaste of fats on your tongue. The best thing of all, no heavy feeling in your stomach after you enjoyed your meal.
Restaurant paneer butter masala recipe usually relies on the addition of lots of cashew and cream. In my paneer gravy recipe, I use soaked and peeled almonds. Fats from almonds is monounsaturated fat, It packs more proteins and less carbohydrate as compared to cashews.
For more flavor you can use my Homemade paneer recipe, which makes soft paneer just like store bought one.
Now If I have convinced you why homemade paneer butter masala recipe is better than that heavy on butter, cream and saturated fats restaurant version, read the recipe below, don your apron and get cooking this guilt-free paneer butter masala recipe 🙂
Healthier Paneer Butter Masala Recipe (Video)
- 21 300 g paneer cut into xpieces
- 100 g onion Sliced
- 200 g tomato Chopped
- 1 cup milk Skim
- 40 g almond soaked and ground
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi ( dried fenugreek leaves )
- 2 green chili Fresh
- Heat 1 teaspoon of butter in a non stick/ceramic pan and add sliced onion to it. Simultaneously add green chilies and chopped tomatoes as well.
- Cook these on medium heat for 6-7 minutes , till light brown spots starts to appear. Keep stirring in between.
- Switch off the heat and let these cool off.
- With the help of a blender, blend them into a smooth paste.
- Now put up a pan on slow heat and pour the blended onion and tomato paste in the pan. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes and add 4 tablespoon of water.
- Let it cook for another minutes or so and add skim milk, almond paste as well as paneer cubes.
- Cook, it covered for 5-6 minutes and serve paneer butter masala hot.