One of the best and flavourful kale salad recipe. Crispy golden and spicy, roasted potato and kale salad is easily one of most delicious kale salad recipes ever. Loaded with flavours, hearty and fills you up nicely this is super easy to make.
Kale is one of the most perfect salad greens. Sturdy leafy kale greens combined with crispy roasted potatoes with a classic vinaigrette this is one of most delicious kale salad recipes that you might have tried till now. This sounds super simple but believe me it is loaded with flavours, hearty and fills you up nicely.
These days kale is available throughout the year, but I feel winter kale is best especially for making salads. It’s hearty, it retains crunch, It comes with a hint of slight sweetness and tastes incredible. Roasted potatoes in winter taste incredibly delicious too.
So all in all kale and roasted potatoes are the best combination of ingredients ever. So, I often combine kale and potatoes, especially while I am making winter dishes.
Since kale and potatoes both are gluten-free, this salad is naturally gluten-free and you can make it vegan if you are not adding cheese. If you want to make it nut-free you can skip pine nuts and still it tastes quite good.
Ingredients for Kale and Roasted Potato Salad
Kale - Curly kale or Tuscan kale
Potatoes- Russet Potatoes or Yukon gold
Spices and Herbs - Kosher salt, Paprika, black pepper
Nuts, seeds and oil- Pine nuts, olive oil
Condiments - Dijon mustard, minced garlic (optional)
Cheese- Parmesan Cheese (grated + shaved)
Other - Lime juice
Which type Of kale is best for salad
Best kale for making a salad is undoubtedly Tuscan kale. It has a mildly sweet flavour that is more suited to salad when you are using it raw. Also known as Lacinato greens or dinosaur kale this is my preferred kale for making a salad. But when Tuscan flat-leaf kale is not available, I use curly kale which has stronger kale taste and sturdy leaves. The advantage is it does not wilt so fast.
How to Prep Kale for Salad
- To prep kale for salad first, you need to wash it thoroughly. To wash submerge kale in water for a few minutes and then rinse it under tap water to remove any dirt etc.
- Next step is to dry the kale. For that pat dry it on a kitchen towel. Make sure there is no water lingering on because the presence of water vinaigrette or any other salad dressing you are using will not stick to it.
- Next, place the kale leaf on a cutting board and tear it apart from the centre stem. Remove all the stems and then chop it or tear it in the size of your preference as per kale recipe you are making.
Finally, massage the kale. Massaging the kale with a little bit of olive oil and sea salt breaks down the cell structure of the kale. It gives the kale a softer texture and mellows down the flavour a bit more. Especially when you are eating raw kale give it a massage so that it becomes easier to digest it.
Which types of potatoes are best for roasting
Potatoes in this roasted potato kale salad add complex carbohydrates and pack a lot of nutrients like potassium, iron, B6 etc. Best potatoes for roasting are the starchy russet potatoes. However, you can roast all-purpose potatoes like Yukon Gold.
For making this Kale salad recipe, you can substitute them with sweet potatoes, which is another complex carb that is loaded with loads of antioxidants.
How to Roast Potatoes
To roast potatoes, I first cut potatoes into 4 or 6 pieces depending upon the size of the potatoes. If these are small potatoes like bay potatoes just cutting them into halves is enough. If you are using baby potatoes the roasting time will be slightly lesser.
Toss these cut potatoes in 1tsp olive oil, kosher salt and paprika powder. You can make it without paprika but it gives a very nice spicy kick to roasted potatoes. It was so delicious that I felt like popping all the roasted potatoes just like that 🙂
ROASTED POTATO KALE SALAD WITH VINAIGRETTE
Now coming back to our Roasted potato Kale Salad, this healthy salad is not only packed with nutrients it tastes incredible too. Here are a few steps to make this easy salad recipe.
It takes about 40 minutes to make this recipe. But most of the time is used for roasting potatoes in the oven and not active hands-on cooking time.
Vinaigrette Dressing for Kale and Roasted Potato Salad
This is one of the simplest salad dressing ever. All you need to do is combine olive oil with lemon, dijon mustard, kosher salt, black pepper. Whisk them to make dijon mustard vinaigrette and you have one of classic and flavourful dressing for your kale salad.
It adds bold flavours to kale and roasted potatoes, of the kinds that you are most likely to go for seconds and thirds!
You can make it ahead as Meal prep
The best thing about this kale salad is you can meal prep it ahead. You can make salad dressing, roast potatoes ahead of time and just throw it all together when you’re ready to eat. You can wash and cut kale leaves and keep it in one big container or meal prep individually.
It is so freaking good that you will want to eat it more than once a week.
This roasted potatoes kale salad is easily one of the best winter salad recipes. Loaded with flavours and varied texture, this is easy to make but try it once and you know it’s the goodness of a different level!
You can serve it warm or at room temperature, it tastes incredibly delicious any which way. This also makes an excellent meal prep salad recipe for lunch.
Do give it a try for sure!
More Such Recipes
Kale and Quinoa Salad Recipe
Roasted Potato Kale Salad
- 3 cups Kale curly or Tuscan kale
- 300 grams Potatoes cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan grated
- 15 grams parmesan shaved
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoons black pepper
- Clean and remove the middle stem from kale and tear the leaves into small bite sized pieces.
- In a salad bowl add kale, ½ teaspoon olive oil and generous pinch of salt. Toss to mix and Massage the kale with your fingertips to soften it up a bit. Keep this aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F /230C.
- On a baking sheet, combine cubed potatoes, ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, chili powder, paprika, salt to taste and black pepper. Toss well to coat evenly.
- Put the baking tray in the oven and roast for 30 minutes till potatoes are crispy outside and tender inside.
- Meanwhile, To make the dressing. Combine all ingredients of salad dressing and whisk it with small blender.
- In the mixing salad bowl Toss the roasted potatoes, grated parmesan cheese and kale together.
- Pour the dressing and toss to combine. Top the salad with pine nuts and shaved parmesan.
- Serve and enjoy! The salad keeps well for 3-4 days in the fridge.