Saag Anda Curry, rustic, spicy and hearty winter curry cooked using mustard greens (sarson ka saag) and spinach (palak). Just perfect winter dish made with greens and eggs to scoop up with your bread.
For a Punjabi, nothing marks the winter food better than Sarson ka saag and Makki ki roti with a dollop of white home made butter and a little bit of jaggery on the side. If I say, my husband can eat Sarson ka saag literally everyday in winters and be happy about it, that won't be an exaggeration at all. There's an interesting story How I learned to make Sarson ka saag 🙂 here. So you can imagine that this would be one dish that is cooked frequently in winters. I cook it at least once in a week and make a double batch each time so as to have a reasonably supply of saag on our dining table to keep him happy.
But the younger man at home needs a lot of variety, and the older man wants him to appreciate his favorites by "that is our cultural thing and it's so healthy" argument going on... You get the situation now :D. So, to keep both men happy I need to sometimes work on a compromise by sometimes cooking something else and sometimes by adding younger man's favorites like boiled eggs to make it Saag Anda Curry or by adding roasted chicken to make Saag chicken etc and serving it up with laccha paratha instead of Makki ki roti.
If you love to cook with winter greens, you may like to try Sarson ka saag, Sookhi Aloo Methi ki sabzi, Chane ke saag ka Paratha, Palak Mushroom Paneer curry and another combination of spinach and eggs which is Spinach scrambled eggs .
You know secretly I am so glad to serve them both this Saag Anda curry which is made with using a variety of winter greens. I used mustard greens (Sarson ka saag), Spinach, Fenugreek leaves and Bathua for making saag.
All the greens are pressure cooked first, and then tempered with a pure desi ghee and topped with boiled eggs to make this green, rustic and spicy Punjabi egg curry "Saag Anda curry". If you love egg curries like we do here, this Saag And curry or Saag Egg curry is a delicious variation of Punjabi egg curry, because variety is the spice of life. Clichéd much! but so true 🙂
Serve the Saag Anda curry with laccha paratha and safed makhan by, I can promise that this simple and healthy punjabi curry is heavenly meal by itself.
- 250 g spinach
- 100 g Fenugreek leaves green
- 100 Bathua Chenopodium greens
- 2 - 3 green chillies
- to taste salt
- 2 tablespoon ghee Desi clarified butter
- 1 ginger piece: finely chopped
- 3 Tomatoes chopped
- 6 Eggs hard boiled
- Wash, clean and chop the spinach leaves, fenugreek leaves and bathua and tear them with the hand rather than chopping with a knife.
- Add salt, green chilli and ginger to these greens and pressure cook the leaves It will be done in 15-20 mins. Remove from heat and cool.
- After this Saag is cooled properly blend it in a liquidizer so that it should be little coarse in texture.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add chopped ginger to it when it starts to brown add chopped tomatoes and cook till it is well-mashed
- Add this tadka to the hot saag as well as boiled eggs. Serve this saag anda curry hot with jeera rice or Naan