Sabudana khichdi is popular fasting recipe for Navratri. A tasty Maharashtrian breakfast recipe made with sabudana/sago or tapioca pearls, potatoes and peanuts. In this recipe, I am sharing with you tried and tested tip to make non-sticky sabudana khichdi recipe that is super easy to make.
Many people have asked me regarding their sabudana khichdi becoming clumpy and sticky I have a totally fail-proof and perfect sabudana khichdi recipe for you. If you love sabudana khichdi like I do, but still can not get it right? I use a trick while soaking sabudana. Some more Sabudana recipes you can try sabudana vada, sabudana waffles, Sabudana kheer.
Sabudana khichdi is also made in Navratri during Navratri fast. It is falahari recipe so which is also cooked and eaten for other fast/upvas. Like any other traditional recipes, ingredients for the recipe also change according to people’s personal preferences. In case you are wondering what is sabudana called in English? It’s known as sago or tapioca pearls. or What is sabudana made of? Sabudana is made up of starch from tapioca roots.
Sabudana khichadi is a tasty breakfast dish which is commonly available in many street food joints across Mumbai. Now it’s popular all over India and one of the simplest and easy breakfast dishes one can cook.
Sabudana Khichdi Add-Ons
I make many variations, sometimes I add lemon juice for sourness, some people add amchur powder (mango powder). Depending on the mood I sometimes add fried potatoes, sometimes add boiled potatoes sometimes I make khichdi without potatoes. You can add curry patta or skip that as per your choice. I make it without curry patta.
How to make Sabudana Khichdi for fast – Recipe Notes
The most common problem people face while making this khichdi recipe is, it becomes sticky very easily. My trick for making non-sticky Sabudana khichdi is soaking it the right way. Many people say Soaking sabudana overnight or 5-6 hours of soaking is secret for non-sticky sabudana khichdi. But that never worked for me till now.
- Washing sabudana is important. Wash the sabudana or sago pearls till water runs clear.
- When making the recipe for fasting, we do not use onion or garlic.
- For making non-sticky khichdi soak sabudana in just enough water which barely covers it. Keep sabudana aside it for 2 hours is a no-fail method to cook non-sticky sabudana khichdi. More water can result in the sticky gloopy khichdi.
- If you soak sabudana this way, by the end of soaking you will get soft, mushy yet separated sago pearls. You can smash them very easily with a gentle pressure of your fingers.
- Do not over stir, otherwise, it can become clumpy.
This way all you get in the end is moist and supple sabudana pearls that stay separated which are almost double in size than dry sabudana. Once you have soaked sabudana in the right way you can use y0ur favourite ingredients to make sabudana khichdi.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe in Hindi Video
If you like this recipe feel free to share it on Facebook and WhatsApp and leave us your comments below. We love listening to your feedback! You can Subscribe to Our WhatsApp subscription for Free by saving “mytastycurry” in your contact list and sending Subscribe on 91-8368756817
Sabudana Khichadi Recipe - How to Make Sabudana Khichdi
- 300 grams Sabudana
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 100 grams potato boiled
- 2 green chilli chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 3-4 tbsp Peanuts roasted
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- Wash and soak sabudana in enough water to barely cover it. Keep it for 2 hours. After soaking sabudana doubles in size and pearls are separate from each other. If press the sabudana pearl with your two fingers it yields.
- After that heat ghee in a pan add cumin seeds and green chilli. Fry them for 1 minute and add boiled potatoes.
- Saute these boiled potatoes Cook for 3-4 minutes. After that add soaked sabudana.
- Cook sabudana/sago for 2-3 minutes and add salt, lemon/lime juice and mix well.
- Add red chilli if you like sabudana khichdi spicy otherwise just skip this step.
- Cook for another 5-6 minutes, until sabudana pearls become translucent. To prevent sabudana from sticking to the bottom stir in between.
- Khichdi is ready, now to serve sabudana add crushed peanuts, coriander leaves and serve it hot.